Troy-Bilt won't start anymore, puffs of white smoke.

pyro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last week while I was using my trimmer, it started acting up on me. Previously for about 10 minutes it worked fine, then it kept dying on me. I was able to crank it back relatively easily, but it continued to die almost like it was out of fuel. It would sputter, and some of the time I was able to keep it running by pressing and releasing the trigger.

Today, I got it to run maybe 2 seconds before it quit, and now it won't start at all. After the second attempt, it acted weird.

The instructions say to pump the bulb on it 10 times, set the throttle lever to "1" (out of 3), pull the cord 4 times, move the throttle to "2" (the middle) and pull until it cranks, then change to "3" once it's running.

Right now it'll seem like it'll almost crank when I'm on the step with the throttle at "1"; which it's never done before. It was always "2" when it would even consider cranking. At the same time it almost wants to crank, it'll puff out white smoke. When turning it over to "2", it never does anything now.

Model number is TB575SS. Fuel level is good, oil level is good, and I think the air filter is clean now. The filter had some kind of petroleum smell to it, but I can't really tell what.

possum

Threads
Take the plug out and see if it is oily. Make sure the air filter is clean, and no oil is sitting in the carb behind the air filter. Check to see if the oil level is overfull and or the oil has gas in it. While the plug is out and the plug wire off to the side away from the spark plug hole pull it over a few times and see if any oil blows out the spark plug hole. Then check back in. And make darn sure the gas is fresh before you do anything.