My troy-bilt mower was running fine then lost power.

iamkemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I, have a troy-bilt self propelled mower I was mowing the grass then lost power and now it wont restart. The symptons are as follows it was running fine then it started loosing rpms and finally died. I removed the fuel tank just in case it was clogged but it was clear put fresh gas in tank after replacing tank, any ideas

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stupid question, did you check the oil level?

Sdoner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would check compression and ignition of engine first. If that is good then it would be a fuel problem.

iamkemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the oil level is fine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this unit self propelled? If so the belt may have jumped and caused the problem. Would you post the model numbers for both the mower and engine? Let's look at the easy and cheapest fixes first.

iamkemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it is self propelled, Model # for mower is 12A-466M011 engine is a Briggs & Straton 675 I was able to start it after putting new fuel but it only ran for about 15 seconds.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the carb is not getting gas. Remove the fuel line from the carb and see if gas runs out. If it does, reattach and loosen the small bolt on the bottom of the carb. Careful not to take it all the way out. You get a steady drip of fuel coming out when it is loose. If no gas runs out of the carb when you take the fuel line off then the line is plugged. Take the line off the tank, if no fuel comes out then the tank outlet is plugged.

iamkemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I will try that and let you know.

iamkemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found out the problem the thermostat went bad I have replaced it now I need to find out how to adjust the thermostat so the mower stays running any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should have been an instruction sheet with the new thermostat telling you exactly how to adjust. If not I'll walk you through it later as I have to go now.