Craftsman Moves Really Slow

YardMonkey

Threads
and sometimes not at all. I have a Craftsman Model 917.287261 42" cut with a 24 hp B&S engine. It has a Tuff Torq K46 Tranny.
Could it be something other than the tranny? I am not a mechanic, but am fairly mechanically inclined, so I may be able to repair if something minor...If it is the tranny, I am going to be in the market for another rider. Have a little over a 1/2 acre with house and trees on it. Would like to spend less than $2K or would maybe go with a larger cut self propelled walk behind.

Really not interested in another Craftsman and will not buy from Big Box Store.

What do you guys recommend? I am open to good recommendation and information.

jenkinsph

Threads
I would recommend a Deere x310 or x320 and higher numerical models, this is where the better transmissions start. Don't know about other brands but am familiar with Deere, I like the x320 model but went with an x749 to use for my work. Consider a good used model which can outlast several cheap new ones.

FWIW, TuffTorq can sell you the rebuild parts for your existing k46 tranny, might be worthwhile as most find with the better oil and rebuild that these seem to last longer. I have an L130 that I need to rebuild the tranny, just haven't had the time to do it yet.

jimrs

Threads
At only 1/2 acre you have choices of a walk behind or rider. At my age I would choose a Zero Turn. I know nothing about the above J.D. but it is a lot more than your willing to spend. You wont find a Zero turn for what your looking to spend. I have had a J.D. Lt110 and it has been a great mower. It's about 1,600.00 so in your price range. Good luck in finding the right mower.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would recommend the new Toro TimeMaster. It is a 30" twin blade self propelled walk behind.