Craftsman 6.25 hp won't start...carb issues. Help please.

Merek

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 6.25 hp won't start...carb issues. Help please.
Was given a Craftsman 21" self propelled mower today because it wasn't running. 6.25 hp, I believe the motor is Tecumsah (sp?), carb has aluminum bowl. I put fresh fuel , oil, and plug in it. I have spark. It wouldn't even try to start (no fuel) so I took off the jet screw on bottom of fuel bowl and cleaned it up (wire through the hole). Cleaned float and bowl, reassembled. Starts for 2-3 seconds on 3rd pull now then dies. Primed several times.....fuel now running into air filter tube. Is a needle stuck in the carb? Please advise on how to fix this, I'm handy enough, but not knowledgable on little carbs. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello & WELCOME to LMF...

I would guess the float is stuck or the needle seat is leaking... You will need to determine what engine you have, and then what carb, You will need a carb kit, some carburetor cleaner and a little time.
There are some great threads about cleaning carbs on these forums, but post back with your engine make and we can start a new one... :smile:KennyV
in What part of Kansas are you... ?

Merek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not far from you probably....I'm in Augusta, from Andover, so at least we're in the same county. The mower is model #917.378350. Im pretty sure it is a Tecumseh carb and motor, but I'm not 100% sure. I havent torn too deeply into,it yet. Thanks for the welcome Kenny V.

I found a link to the carb I have, it states the motor model number as well.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_carb_632747.asp

Last edited: