22" Recycler 190cc, tapping sound with blade engaged

ericpts10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new to the forum. Great site.

I have a RWD Recycler 190cc/ 6.75hp built in 2008 and when I engage the blade it sounds like a valve tap. Without the blade engaged it runs very smooth. I didn't buy the mower new but got it in a trade for some work so I don't know if this is normal. The mower only had 10 hours or so on it.

I did pull the blade off to sharpen it when I did a filter, oil and plug change and with that funky mounting system maybe it's out of balance? There is no shacking though.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the blade is not installed correctly. Try removing and remounting it again. What model number is the mower? Sounds like it has a BBC, which could mean that this system is the problem. Long story if this is the case. Will try to help, but will need model and serial numbers. Can tell now that it is not an engine problem.

ericpts10

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's model #20068 and the serial number is #280000171
I'll try remounting the blade and post weather there is a change or not.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the large nut when you took the blade off. If you did we may have problems. Check the idler bearing under the plastic shield. Also check the condition of the belt. Do not remove anything except the blade, adapter and plastic shield. I don't want to try and talk you through reassembly if you go to far. It can be done, but it's not easy for a newbee. Also, make sure the deck is clean, grass build up will cause a clicking sound.

ericpts10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remounted the blade and it still makes the noise. Only pulled the two nuts off to get the blade off.

I didn't see you last post beforehand so I'll pull it back off and check the idler. Guess just look for any slop or bind? The belts looked good, had the cover off looking for an oil drain plug :thumbdown: The deck is spotless and gets cleaned with every tank of fuel. I'll try to get to it today if the rain holds off.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no drain plug. Just tip your mower on the side with the oil fill tube and drain it into a pan