Looking to buy a walk behind, need advise!

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm replacing a 12 yr old tired craftsman and would like some advise from people who will have more experience than I have with mowers. The craftsman was the first one I've purchased, previous to that I had a hand-me-down 2-stroke lawnboy that must have been 20 yrs old.

Anyway, I'm looking at two main directions:

1. A self-propelled model. The two best ones I've seen are: a John Deere RWD, 875 series BS engine, single point height adjustment, electric start and the Toro super recycler. The Toro looks great but there are two things I don't like about it. First, it has individual wheel height adjusters. It is one of my pet peeves but I'm willing to let it slide. The other is sore spot for me, the engine on the electric start model has a Toro branded made in China engine. This can be resolved by getting the pull start Honda engined version however but the wife really likes the idea of electric start. She sometimes cuts the grass and her biggest gripe is starting the mower. I've also seen a Poulan Pro with a Honda engine, are these good machines? I looked at the new craftsman but they seemed overly large and heavy. The self propelled versions have what look like a 6" larger rear wheelbase than the front. My only concern going self-propelled is the added weight and potential added difficulty manouvering the mower in tight corners and reversing direction.

2. Take the leap and get a cordless mower. The three top ones I've researched are the B&D which is self propelled, cub cadet 500BAT and the Toro ecycler. I like the cub cadet the most since it has a removable battery, a must for winter storage and it has a conventional steel deck like the Toro. The only issue I see with the Toro ecycler is that the battery cannot be removed. The B&D just looks goofy with the large plastic deck and I don't think being self propelled on a battery electric makes sense since a good portion of that battery power will go into moving the mower instead of cutting grass. I would think it would limit how much cutting you can do on a charge. Anyone have first hand experience with a cordless mower? How long do the batteries last? This option has benefits, next to know maintenance, no oil to change, no gas to buy, turn a key and go, nothing easier than that.

Is it worth looking at cordless or should I stick with a self propelled?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check in your area to see if anyone has any of last years model Toro with the B&S engine. This is an excellent unit if you can find them. Ask the dealer to check around for you. The new Chinese engine seems to be working good for us, (a lot of the manufacturers are going to it) but only time will tell. We've sold about two dozen already this year with no problems. The new Chinese engine has a cast iron sleeve and runs very quietly.

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked around today and found what must be last years model Toro Recycler and it did have a B&S engine. It didn`t have electric start however. While I was out I took another look at the John Deere (Model JS48) This mower seems to have everything I want, Single lever height adjustment, 22`deck, variable speed RWD and a big B&S engine 875 series OHV engine. They have another model JS38 which does not have electric start and a B&S 700 Quantum series engine but it does feel noticeably lighter. Are these good mowers? The JS48 has something I've never seen on a walkbehind mower, an oil filter! I sort of like the idea of it since it should make sure the oil remains as clean as possible.

But back to cordless, are these worth looking into or are they prone to issues? How long do the batteries last? If it is less than 5 yrs I won't bother looking in that direction any longer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let's take look at the JS48 you looked at. This is what I see. First, I don't know if you realize it but that is a Chinese engine built to JD spec. It has a steel deck. You really like single lever height adjusters. If something goes wrong your dealing with all four wheels. Two year warranty. I think the price is about $500.00. Now I would like you to take a look at the Toro model 20384. Yes, the same Chinese engine built to Toro spec. It has an aluminum deck. Individual height adjusters. Lower maintenance costs. Five year warranty. Promo price now is $619.00. If you are going to get the Chinese engine, would it be better to have a five year warranty even if it costs more. If you go online and do some comparisons, I think the best buy is Toro. The personal pace system is one you and your better half will really like. I must tell you I have been selling and servicing Toro for the last 25years, but even then if you really look at cost vs. Valve. Toro will come out ahead. Go out a test each of them, feel the difference in construction and ease of use, you'll get over the 4 adjusters. You better take better half with you and she'll tell you to spend a little more to get a longer lasting unit. Steel deck lasts 7-10 years. Aluminum deck 15 years +. Hope this helps and doesn't get you in trouble.

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
The B&S is made in China! WTH, is there anything made in North America anymore? If that is the case then I agree, the Toro is the better mower. I also found the weights of the two machines, the JD is 100lbs to the Toro's 86lbs, another plus for the Toro. I did get a chance to try out an older Toro while at the dealer and the drive system is impressive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I looked at the JD online it's specs showed a Chinese engine. Maybe the JD you looked at was last years model.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets has you going the right way.:thumbsup:.. a light weight deck is great on this type mower...
and individual adjusters are Much better than single... :smile:KennyV

Sdoner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a Honda mower they are the best. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand what you mean when you say you get what you pay for. Honda does make an excellent mower, but you pay a lot more up front, pay more for parts even basic tune-ups, and if some thing major does go wrong in let's say five years, you really pay for it. Honda vs. other major brands in my opinion is not a good $$$$ to value purchase. Many of you will disagree, and we all get to share our opinions. I'm sure that someone is going to say that a Rally or Noma mower is the way to go. Rudager is going to use the input given to help him make a decision.

Sdoner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rudager, watch what you buy. The newer toro products are not the good quality as the older ones. I have a 20 year old toro weed wacker and have not have any problems with it. I rebuilt the carb 9 years ago and tune it up every year. My friend is a toro dealer and said that the quality has gone down in the past few years.