New Member question about bad cutting

bleepjay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Troy-Bilt Tuff Cut 200 that's about 8 years old, and for the last two years, it's been cutting like the blade needs to be sharpened, but that's not the case. I've gotten new blades, sharpened the blades, but the cut still leaves a lot of blades uncut and bent.

Now, I've finally gotten a lawn that is pretty thick, so this may have something to do with it, but is there a problem with the power of my mower, or is there a different issue? I've adjusted the cutting height but that doesn't work either.

Do I need to re-invest in a new mower or what? I'm not opposed to doing so, but if there's something I can try with this Troy-Bilt, I'd rather do that.

fastback

Threads
I would also think that the rpm could be an issue. If not fast enough the blade may not be lifting the grass.

Parkmower

Threads
Yeah I'd look at and lube the throttle cable. Or change air and fuel filters. And if that doesn't do it clean the carb.
All this is simple tasks and cost less the $20. That's alot less than a few hundred for a new mower.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Is the blade level? if the wheels are bent or misadjusted the blade won't cut as well as it should.

Mr Q

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not familiar with the machine in question but is the grass clipping exit passage(s) clean and not restricted - causing a drop in vacunm that would keep the grass from being positioned for a clean cut? Also, is the blade housing area caked with old grass, causing a drop in the machine's ability to pull the grass up for a good cut?

bleepjay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Parkmower - I did check the throttle cable and it seems to be a little loose. It's only one speed but it feels like the throttle could be opened up a little bit more, which may cause an increase in RPM. I just changed the air filter, so I don't think that is the issue, but I will take a look at the fuel filter, or just go ahead and change it.

Grass ala Mowed - As for the blade level, I think it's ok, but one of the wheels was bent inward, so I straightened it out so it's straight now. As for levelness, I think it's ok.

Mr Q - The grass exit passage is clear, but the blade housing area could use a small cleaning, but I've kept up with it pretty well. The problem of the vacuum may be true, because I feel like the bag never fills 100% when I feel like it should be full. I've heard not to use water to clean this area. What would my best option be?