STX38 dies when I turn blades on

rw02kr43

Threads
I have an old stx 38 with the yellow deck. It will start and I can run it all over the yard. Forward, reverse, everything. Starts right up. But if I flip the switch to turn on the blades it dies. Then it won't start again unless I get off and then back on or rock it back and forth. My lawn is growing fast so I need to get this worked out. Any ideas?

thanks
Jason

PJ

Threads
Sound to me you have electro clutch that is shorting or draining the power away to such an extend that you losingpower from the egnition system
PJ

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a safety switch problem, most likely the seat switch, but could be other safety switches, posibly the reverse safety switch if it has one.

xp14629

Threads
Check the pto switch. If it was the clutch, then getting off and on would make no difference. If it was the seat, it should die any time you release the clutch/brake pedal from starting it. The pto switch also has a safety circuit through it. It is possible to be the seat switch if some one had tried to wire around it in the past.

rw02kr43

Threads
I can drive around with no problem. forward, reverse. But, if I turn the switch for the blades it dies fast. I don't take my foot off the brake or clutch or anything. I looked at the seat and there are no wires going into the seat. Under the springs on the body there is a little box with wires going to it. Is that the safety switch?

Jason

xp14629

Threads
When I said take your foot off, I mean after start up. The box under the suspension should be the safety switch.

Bison

Threads
Maybe you got a seized bearing in the mower deck,that'll kill the engine too.

rw02kr43

Threads
If I took the belt off from the engine to the mower deck and tried to turn the blades on and it dies, would have rule out a seized bearing on the deck?

Bison

Threads
Well yeah,but an easier way would be to spin the blades by hand(engine off),..they should turn easy with no binding.
Me thinks if the electr PTO is shorting out and killing the engine,the wiring to it would quikly get hot and start smoking with the key left on.

rw02kr43

Threads
Well, the replaced switch did nothing. I jacked up the front end and tried to spin the blades by hand. the left side on turns, but takes some pulling. The right side one is locked in place. Would that indicate a deck problem?

Jason