Fuel Line on a string trimmer

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have often thought the string trimmer is the most frustrating an annoying tool in the shed. It sometimes seems to me that the person who invented this device was evil, sadistic and should be held accountable.
If you don't agree with that you have to admit there is certainly room for improvement, unless you enjoy having a noisey 2 stroke engine puking toxic smoke just a few feet from your head while you pound the thing on the ground wondering why the string doesn't unwind This time. All the while the extreme vibration has your rist aching with fatigue and clench your teeth in pain.... but don't forget to keep your lips pursed less you're teeth will fill with dirt and grass.
As bad as it is wacking weeds with this device, I still use one when I can't get the wife to do it:thumbsup:
Currently I'm having an issue with the fuel lines cracking do to our ethanol laced fuel. The fuel lines and purge system needs to sealed well to work or air will enter the system and gas may leak out.
After looking everywhere, I am unable to locate to correct size (interior diameter) fuel line. It seems to me that this model has 2 different diameters, although very similiar, that enter and exit the carbuerator. Also this model ( Toro 230028557 made by homelite) has very small hose clamps that are also impossible to locate.
As much as I hate this thing I'm confident that is made well and worth fixing. It's only a few years old and hasn't been used much ( I'd rather visit the proctologist). Does anyone know where I can find the correct fuel line and some of those little wire clamp that hold the lines in place?
Thanks RB

rmancini

Threads
I just went through the happiness of replacing my fuel line on a vintage 1987 Weedeater (brand name).
My local feed store had the hose. Lots of fun getting the filter out and back into the gas tank.
Mine was just OLD - I don't think the Ethanol contributed to the failure.

You're right about the vibration , sore back, smoke/fumes and don't forget the absolute joy of peeling a nice big chunk of slug off your cheek!
Rich

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
know where I can find the correct fuel line and some of those little wire clamp that hold the lines in place?
Thanks RB

Most places that sell chainsaws and trimmers will have metric fuel line also motorcycle dealers and shops have it.
If your fuel line has any special molded seals along the line you will need original equipment replacement or you will have to build your own using O-rings and fuel line... KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recieved the parts in the mail yesterday and replaced the primer bulb to the carb thgis afternoon and was able to get to trimming again:ashamed::mad:
I was able to get the parts from Amazon, a stored called "motown" I have purchased from them before, unfortunetly this time the parts were backordered and took longer than it should have. the trimmer is a Toro made by Homelite. I guess homelite makes trimmers for a lot of other companies, even Ryobi.
On this model those little clamps are essential to proper seal on the pressurized fuel circuit.
if anybody has questions let me know.
RB

Hoss

Threads
I have a similar problem with my weed whacker, but I never suspected the fuel line. Thanks for jarring my brain cells. I need to clean everything out for the winter anyway.

scorpwrench

Threads
I went to my local Lowes home improvement center and found a product in their mower parts section you might be able to use. It's from the Arnold aftermarket parts company, a package with two one foot pieces of fuel line. One is 1/8" OD with 1/16" ID, the other is 3/16" OD with 3/32" ID. I paid about four bucks. Don't know if they'll fit your Toro but it looks like it may fit some Sears or Weedeater models.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow. The last post here (before the one before mine) was SEVEN MONTHS ago. I think the problem's been LONG solved! :laughing:

Thanks for the tip, though.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF