Engine Kohler Courage 19 SV590 Slow to Start.

JoeFred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought Cub Cadet LT1042 new in 2008 from a local authorized dealer. Less than 100 hours. It ran great for two years, but then problems began. Engine would crank, but was really slow to start. When it did finally start, it did so without showing signs it was flooded and it ran fine, but backfired about every time it was shut off... regardless of where the throttle was set.

Had it tuned by the same dealer about 4 weeks ago. Dealer said he adjusted the lifters. Whatever he did, both problems went away, but after about two mowings, it is back to being slow to start, but so far hasn't backfired.

On a previous service, when the lawn tractor was still under warranty, the same dealer overfilled the oil crankcase. I discovered that mistake while mowing down an incline. It backfired for the first time and did so... BIG TIME and blue smoke billowed out.:eek: (Our neighbors, who very much dislike the dealer, got to hear and see that, which probably reinforced their negativity. Needless to say, it bugs me to no end to have to have it crank, and crank, and crank when they are outside.:mad:)

Battery is less than 30 hours old. New plug, fuel filter and air filter. Choke lever travels the full range. There are no apparent fuel line restrictions. Using middle grade gasoline.

Dealer finally came and picked tractor up about a week ago. I have not heard anything back yet.

1) Does this engine have lifters that are even adjustable?
2) Could the dealer overfilling crankcase with oil have caused problems that still linger?
3) Could problem be in the fuel solenoid?
4) Suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The courage valves are adjustable, Over filling the crankcase could of lead to head gasket problems from trying to compress the slug of oil that it inhaled. Could be a fuel shutoff solenoid problem causing fuel to not get to the engine properly. So the answer to your question is All of the Above.

JoeFred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, ILENGINE. I failed to mention that they replaced the valve cover gasket during the last service (when they adjusted the lifters and the tune up). Could that gasket have taken a hit from the slug of oil also?

ADDED LATER:
LEFT OUT SOMETHING ELSE.... Once the engine starts and runs for just a short time, it will restart immediately. I believe that indicates a leaking head gasket or worse... warped metal surface (and low vacuum when cold) that is less of a problem while the block and head are still hot.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited:

JoeFred

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got to talk to the service manager. From my description he pretty much ruled out a bad head gasket as the problem. He did allow for the possibility of the overfill of oil and the mini explosion messing things up causing the valves to not stay adjusted. He promised to start on the job today.

JoeFred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealer readjusted valves. Seems to be okay... for now.