Input regarding oil Leak/Fuel Pump

talley2191

Threads
I have read several accounts of oil leaking from the fuel pump, but many posts stop and the post originator never mentions what the issue was. I am experiencing that problem with my John Deere LA125 with 145 hours. I do not smell oil in the fuel, and have not yet tested the compression. Does anyone have any insights from past experience? Perhaps a similar model with similar engine (Briggs and Stratton 21 HP)? I guess the leading causes are either clogged breather, or rings going bad? I hope the latter is a long shot given the engine has only 145 hours on it.

talley2191

Threads
Now I read a bit more regarding a possible cause is a head gasket. Is there a way to tell by looking wether or not it's a head gasket issue? Man, how can you have these issue with only 145 hours???

OzRanga

Threads
There is no way of telling unless you have a leakdown tester tool... But regardless it is a relatively easy job to change the head gasket anyway. 145 hours is not uncommon to blow one.....
I would suggest that the cylinder head is checked to ensure it is flat (fine grit sandpaper on a sheet of glass or mirror) and do the head bolts up a little more than spec on reassembly....this will prevent reoccurance

talley2191

Threads
Will do if the test indicates it for sure. Thank you. I will do a compression test in the AM before I go further. What is a good compression reading? And what would figure is the more common occurrence, head gasket leak or clogged breather reed?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will do if the test indicates it for sure. Thank you. I will do a compression test in the AM before I go further. What is a good compression reading? And what would figure is the more common occurrence, head gasket leak or clogged breather reed?

Doing a compression test on Briggs is no good as they do not release figures for it.
A leakdown test is used to check the sealing capabilities of compression related components (valves, gaskets, rings) using a set air pressure which goes through special test equipment from Briggs.
I read alot about compression tests on small engines and always wonder why?
Iv never had to do one in 8-9 years of working on small engines.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It does sound like a bad head gasket. Compression test may or may not tell you for sure. Only an experienced tech will get it right more than 75% of the time. I do a lot of compression tests but they only tell me that the cylinder is leaking, not where. The compression for a Briggs engine cold should be about 110-125 psi, after four good pulls. A leak down tester will tell the tech where the leak is. Problem, compression tester =$25 leakage tester = $175. Great tool but not for the average Joe. I would pull the head and clean everything I can and install a new head gasket. Overall this is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Good luck.. Just thought of this. Have you pulled the valve cover and checked to see if the breather is stuck. Clean it with carb cleaner and shake it. You should hear it rattle.

talley2191

Threads
Thank you. Looks like a $7.55 part if I'm looking at the correct part number. I'll be sure to post follow up after the compression test in the morning.

talley2191

Threads
So compression test was normal and other signs (appears to have exhaust coming back through dipstick)seem to indicate head gasket does in fact need to be replaced. Only 145 hours....very disappointed in Briggs and Stratton. I'll follow up once the work is done. Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not that unusual to replace. Make sure that you check and clean the cooling fins. Overheating is a cause of head gasket failure. As long as you have the head off clean out the carbon.

talley2191

Threads
Final post on the issue. Head gasket and a new spark plug and the mower is again running perfect. No smoke or oil coming from the oil pump. Thanks for the help and perhaps this thread will help someone else.