Input regarding oil Leak/Fuel Pump

SQUEELA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Final post on the issue. Head gasket and a new spark plug and the mower is again running perfect. No smoke or oil coming from the oil pump. Thanks for the help and perhaps this thread will help someone else.

Your post just did help someone else I thought it might be a flywheel seal but noticed oil was just under fuel pump this John Deere has about same hours on it owner had problem with mice in the shed nest caused over heating and then head gasket caused oil leak. thanks guys big help just saved customer a lot of money.

gmillioni

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have read several accounts of oil leaking from the fuel pump, but many posts stop and the post originator never mentions what the issue was. I am experiencing that problem with my John Deere LA125 with 145 hours. I do not smell oil in the fuel, and have not yet tested the compression. Does anyone have any insights from past experience? Perhaps a similar model with similar engine (Briggs and Stratton 21 HP)? I guess the leading causes are either clogged breather, or rings going bad? I hope the latter is a long shot given the engine has only 145 hours on it.

think i am having similar problem with 19.5 B&S engine. oil comes out the small brass filter on the fuel pump. i've tried replacing the fuel pump but that is not the fix. there is a rubber hose that goes from the fuel pump to the oil filler tube. i believe pressure in the oil chamber is causing oil to move through that hose. many say its to much oil in the oil resevoir chamber. i've tried running very low oil (32cc instead of the called for 48cc) and still get the oil in the fuel pump. others say its a head gasket but that is not likely since the engine runs excellently, no smoking or stutter. some say the exhaust muffler is plugged with oil, again no problem with engine running or starting, which if the outlet were plugged or restricted one could expect difficulty with the engine running, not to mention these engines dont run on oil gas mix so exhaust is not really filled with oil residue. i dont think a plugged exhaust is the problem, but i do believe that a plugged or restricted muffler could create some problems with back pressure to the oil chamber.
and lastly, some say bad rings or cracked ring or some such thing, but if one has that kind of internal engine problem you're going to experience more trouble then just oil into the fuel pump.

that fuel pump is a diaphragm actuated pump. oil is on the diaphragm side not the fuel side, so oil is not getting into the fuel pump side feeding the carburator. if it were oil would quickly cause the carb to fail. now after all that, i disconnected that hose and ran the engine for an hour without problems. but i had a big oil mess so i put the line back on and now i get oil in the fuel pump again.

so not really knowing the exact problem, i'm going to disconnect the line on the oil filler tube and plug the nipple. then if there is some place that i can access vacuum i am going to put the line on it. if not then im going to leave it alone. if the engine begins to show symptoms i'll just reconnect and try cleaning out the muffler. other than that i dont think any has proposed what the actual problem is, and the correct fix for it.

hope this helps. gerald