Troybilt Pony 13AN689G766

Alaraven

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troybilt Pony that had the drive belt replaced. After the belt was replaced, the riding mower would not go forward or backward, even in neutral. It acts as if the wheels are locked up or the brake is on. I will greatly appreciate any advice!! Thanks!!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The parking brake could be stuck. It is a flat looking piece of metal on side of tranny by the right rear tire. See if it moves freely. the other thing if this is a hydrostat then you could have air in the pump and will need to be bleed out. Put the bypass (roll ) lever in bypass position and start the mower, move the direction controls back and forth between full forward and full reverse, then release the bypass and see if that fixes it. Just did one of those Saturday.

Redlinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Troy-Bilt 13AN689G766 Pony - I am experiencing the same issue ... The mower will not go forward or backward even in neutral? It is like the brake is on? I can manually move the mower BAC and forward and it seems to free it up but as soon as I apply the brake it seizes up again? Can anyone please give me some advice?

Redlinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
The parking brake could be stuck. It is a flat looking piece of metal on side of tranny by the right rear tire. See if it moves freely. the other thing if this is a hydrostat then you could have air in the pump and will need to be bleed out. Put the bypass (roll ) lever in bypass position and start the mower, move the direction controls back and forth between full forward and full reverse, then release the bypass and see if that fixes it. Just did one of those Saturday.

Can you explain a little more what I need to look for in this situation ... I believe it might be the brake is stuck?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the side of the tranny in front of the right tire, there is a slightly twisted piece of metal about 3 inches long, and what will look like a disc brake. Move that metal piece forward and backwards. Normally if it is stuck it will click loose when you try to move it in the disengage position. On some hydrostats the brake disc is on the inside of the tranny by will have that same piece of metal on the side. Most will either have a somewhat large spring hooked into the hole on the top. Others will have a rod that pulls or pushes the lever.

if that is the case where it is sticking you will need to put some lube on the mechanism while keeping it off the disc and the brake pads. In bad situations I have had to remove the brake system from the tranny and derust the pins that push the brake pad into the disc. Unless you know what you are doing I don't recommend trying it yourself. things tend to fall out and you will not notice them until later when there are spare parts laying on the garage floor.

Redlinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the side of the tranny in front of the right tire, there is a slightly twisted piece of metal about 3 inches long, and what will look like a disc brake. Move that metal piece forward and backwards. Normally if it is stuck it will click loose when you try to move it in the disengage position. On some hydrostats the brake disc is on the inside of the tranny by will have that same piece of metal on the side. Most will either have a somewhat large spring hooked into the hole on the top. Others will have a rod that pulls or pushes the lever.

if that is the case where it is sticking you will need to put some lube on the mechanism while keeping it off the disc and the brake pads. In bad situations I have had to remove the brake system from the tranny and derust the pins that push the brake pad into the disc. Unless you know what you are doing I don't recommend trying it yourself. things tend to fall out and you will not notice them until later when there are spare parts laying on the garage floor.

I found it by your great description and was able to free it up. I now have no problem pushing the mower back and forth. I then cranked it up, put it in forward and reverse but it did not go anywhere??!! I am back to square one and wanted to know if you have any other ideas? Do you think it might be the belts at this point? Is there a way to determine if the belts are bad? Your thoughts would be appreciated again ...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem is when you get on the mower and start it, you have to push down the brake pedal due to a safety switch. It has most likely restuck the brake. You may be missing the return spring or it may be broken. The other problem with the brake is there is two pins behind that metal brake arm that will rust up and get sticky.

handygeek

Threads
I tried to find these locations on my Pony and was not able to.

My mower suddenly froze - refusing to go into forward or reverse (did so briefly set on maximum speed but then started to smoke a belt in front).

When I tried to push it in Neutral the rear end slid on the damp grass but the rear wheels would not turn.

I have taken a bunch of pictures and posted them here - in hopes that someone can direct me to where I might disengage the drive so I may either get it working or roll it on to the trailer and bring it to the shop.

Troy-Bilt Pony Riding Lawn Mower

I apologize for the ancient HTML ... I just grabbed and modified some old code.

Thanks in advance ...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Handy this is an older posting. So would you check and make sure you have the same model number as listed in the post. If you have a model variation it could effect how I can help you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sound like the same problem.
Jack up the back & try to rotate the rear wheels.
If they rotate then you have a brake problem.
They will go different directions that is normal, same aas your car if you jack it up & rotate the wheels with the car in gear.

Some times you need to pull them all apart to get the crud out and apply a very small amount of a dry lubricant ( I use Tri-Flo )