craftsman rider wont start

greg prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Shut mower off when I went to restart turned key nothing. Jumped across solenoid and it started right up. Finished mowing. Week later I went to get mower out to work on it tried to jump solenoid again I this time nothing. Could I have damaged ignition module by arching solenoid. Any ideas as to what's wrong? Bad ignition switch, solenoid? Need to know where to start I have a good elect. Meter and some experience with elec. Troubleshooting elect. Schematic would help. Thanks in advance.greg. 18.5 hp mn ..917.27564.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This may take a while. Check the solenoid. Does it have 3 or 4 terminals? I am assuming 3. Test voltage on large terminal coming from battery. Should be roughly 12.6v on a good battery. Turn the key to start and check small terminal. Should be roughly 12.6v on a good battery. If you have good voltage and the starter does not turn engine over you have one of two problems. Either the solenoid is not grounding properly or it is bad. If no voltage at small terminal need to look someplace else. Check all safety switches ( there may be as many as 5) for proper operation. Check the ignition switch for 12v in and 12v out to the small wire going to the solenoid. Best wiring picture available to my knowledge is go to Sears parts website and look at the electrical wiring parts diagram. Let me know how it turns out and I will try to work with you. Electrical troubleshooting is not hard if you go slow, but can give you headaches. Remember to go slow and don't assume anything. Before you start anything check to see that the connections on the battery are good and the ground is clean and tight. Good luck.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Rivets is right on the money - more times it is a seat or brake or blade safety that is telling the machine to stop and or not start .

greg prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
This may take a while. Check the solenoid. Does it have 3 or 4 terminals? I am assuming 3. Test voltage on large terminal coming from battery. Should be roughly 12.6v on a good battery. Turn the key to start and check small terminal. Should be roughly 12.6v on a good battery. If you have good voltage and the starter does not turn engine over you have one of two problems. Either the solenoid is not grounding properly or it is bad. If no voltage at small terminal need to look someplace else. Check all safety switches ( there may be as many as 5) for proper operation. Check the ignition switch for 12v in and 12v out to the small wire going to the solenoid. Best wiring picture available to my knowledge is go to Sears parts website and look at the electrical wiring parts diagram. Let me know how it turns out and I will try to work with you. Electrical troubleshooting is not hard if you go slow, but can give you headaches. Remember to go slow and don't assume anything. Before you start anything check to see that the connections on the battery are good and the ground is clean and tight. Good luck.[/QUOTE

greg prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found a blown 20amp in behind the solenoid. Starts right up.. I changed the oil and mowed the back yard then got rained out. Thanks for the help guys! Glad to be a member of this forum.