kill switch, alternator wiring question, craftsman kohler cv20

Dradis

Threads
  • / kill switch, alternator wiring question, craftsman kohler cv20
I am in the process of rewiring my Craftsman Kohler Pro 20 V-twin with a simple push button ignition (no safety switches). The engine is a Kohler CV20. I've got the push button set up and working. I've also found the fuel cut-off wires and figured out how to wire that to a switch. With this setup the engine starts and runs great.

Now I just need some help finding the ground wire for the kill switch, and the alternator wire to charge my battery. The left side of the engine (drivers side) has one purple wire coming out by the spark plug wire. Is this the ground wire used to kill the engine? The right side is a little more complicated. It has a wiring harness with four wires. These wires, as they appear in the pic are: top left - white, top right - purple, bottom left - green, bottom right - red. Do you know which two are the kill wire and alternator, or how i could test to find out?

Last question, since it is a v-twin, will i need to ground both spark plugs for the kill switch, or is just one good enough?

Attachments

• IMG_0168a.jpg
    IMG_0168a.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 30

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The wire attached to the little rectagular thing by the fuel filter is the voltage regulator, the center wire is the charge wire for the battery. The fastest way to trace the wires may be to remove the blower housing and see what wire goes were. Both igntion modules will have to be grounded to kill the engine.

Dradis

Threads
Solved. Thanks for the help, I did not know that was a voltage regulator. I got it working today. I took off the cover and traced the wires from that harness. The white went to both magneto grounds. The purple was the charge wire from the voltage regulator. The red one I already knew went to the fuel solenoid. The green connected to nothing, i think it was once for the headlights.

I checked the original wiring harness and found that the charge wire and fuel solenoid wire went to one 12v wire. I reused the old harness and ran one to my kill switch and one to my 12v source, with a switch in between just for fuel cut off.

Engine and ignition are both working great now. Now, on to the tires. After that I think i'll have a working mower.