Lowes/MTD 5 hp rear tine tiller

jerry howard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lowes brand rear tine tiller, made by MTD, I believe. The transmission has started slipping out of gear, i.e., with the tines in reverse, the shifter slips into neutral. I think it may be caused by the detent being worn, but I noticed that the gearbox has very little grease visible through the filler port. Will adding grease or 90 weight gear oil help, or will I have to replace the detent shaft? Has anyone experienced this problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am assuming rear tine tiller. The hex shaped shaft that the shift gear slides on is netorious for severe rust buildup, and can prevent shifting. The tranny only holds 40 ounces of the special MTD grease, and by special I mean like $15 per 8 ounces.

If this tiller has be subjected to being stored outside and got rained on the tranny has water in it and will continue to rust internally.

jerry howard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your input ilengine, it has not been stored outside. I cannot see any rust through the filler hole. I am guessing I will have to take it apart and inspect it for wear, broken parts, etc. Jerry

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the MTD Forum. :smile:

icpr4you

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any luck on your fix?
Mine has a similar issue