Chainsaw Chain slipping, getting loose?

Homesteader

Threads
I have what my son calls a baby chain saw. I bought it for cutting down firewood. The chain seems to have gotten looser; it has slack I don't think it had before. Is it normal for that to happen and what do I do about it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is an adjustment screw under the chain, where the chain enters the motor...check your manual, it will tell you the tightening procedure... :smile:KennyV

noodle

Threads
I loaned out my chainsaw last week and when I got it back the adjustment screw was gone. The catcher is that the man I loaned it to did not tell me that. He told me he had experience with chainsaws but now I doubt that.

Berniep

Threads
Chain tension is a very important to the safe operation of the saw. The chain needs frequent if not constant attention during normal operation You really need to understand this before you operate it. A loose chain can come off the bar or break. If it happens at the wrong time it can cause serious injury.
But too tight can cause the bar and chain to overheat.
If yo don't have the manual you can probably get it from the manufacturers website.
Be careful. A chainsaw, even a "baby" one, can change your life in the blink of an eye.

Bethieboo

Threads
You want to have a check list you run though before you even start a chainsaw. It can be a mental check list but just make sure you are checking each item for safety. All chain saw owners know you must do this as well as keep maintenance high.

Homesteader

Threads
Thank you everyone. I went, I saw, I bought. Nothing said about maintenance and chains slipping. But since you let me know, I'll get to it before someone gets hurt. That season is coming around again fast.