Mulch a tire?

mowsby

Threads
I see playgrounds that have shredded old tires to use instead of mulch. I have a bunch of old tires and would love to shred them for my kids playground... soo how does one do that?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With a HUGE shredder ... there are a few mobile ones that move from location to location but most of them are stationary and have tires shipped to them... Tires are by design rather tuff and it takes a lot to rip them up... not a do it yourself project.

Most of the playground shredded rubber fill is a much softer material ... usually shredded sneakers. :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
there's also the issue with the steel belts in tires.not something you want your children playing in. russ

noodle

Threads
I always thought it was tired as well. I have a question of my own. What do you do with old tires? Is there an environmentally conscious way to get rid of them or reuse them. How about tire swings, is that unsafe too?

Madi

Threads
Where I live we pay a "tire tax" on each one we purchase then you return them to depots for proper disposal. My parents used to use them as garden beds to plant flowers in. I have also seen them turned into horse swings and flower pots.

noma

Threads
Hat mowsby

In the country they hang them on a steel fence post and put NO HUNTING on them and use them for hunting signs, they spray paint it on with white spray paint. You don't see it to much any more' this was in years past.

jacko

Threads
Yeah I have always wondered about tires as well. It seems like a lot of people do not return them for disposal. There are two in my side yard right now that were left by the road in front of my property!