4231 Engine

Raw Dodge

Threads
This is my first post here,Im new to LMF...I recently purchased a used 4200 with the 31HP gas engine. I took a chance with this machine,and lost the roll of the dice,so I am in need of a replacement engine...these things are not easy to find...anyone know where i can find a ventrac spec engine either new or used running .I think its cheaper to put a 31hp turbo or 26.5hp NA diesel in it,but neither of these engines can match the torque,power,reliability or longevity of the 950G....so id rather stay with the gas engine in this case(and Im a diesel lover).....any help would be appreciated...

Slater

Threads
Sorry to hear that :thumbdown:
What happened that you need a replacement engine? Did it have a ton of hours on it or did the last owner not maintain it properly, because that engine is excellent.
I believe this is what you are looking for, but other than that I can't help you. Maybe try calling the factory or a few dealers in your area, maybe they picked up an extra one or two?
Ventrac Legendary 31HP GAS ENGINE COMPLETE Ready to Run | eBay

Good luck!

Raw Dodge

Threads
The machine I bought had its coolant neglected... somewhere along the line someone replaced antifreeze with water.... combine a new york winter and straight water... and let's just say the best engine in the world doesn't stand a chance.... I tore it down... right now I need a radiator, and more than likely a cylinder head, and a few freeze plugs... I'm not sure if I should try to make the repairs or play it safe and get a new engine .. this thing starts and runs perfect... these engines are very hard to find.. and the diesels are not nearly as reliable....btw machine has 500hrs on it,engine has around 100 hrs on it,its its 2nd engine already,first one was run with no oil drain plug until it locked up.

Slater

Threads
btw machine has 500hrs on it,engine has around 100 hrs on it,its its 2nd engine already,first one was run with no oil drain plug until it locked up.

Jeez talk about neglect :eek:
I'm not very engine savy, but if you feel confident in what your doing on the engine, working with a good dealer and checking with Ventrac's service department directly may help you along! Great company to work with!

Raw Dodge

Threads
Im a Golf Course Superintendent/and the mechanic since were a small course,and I guess I take good care of my stuff because I rarely have a failure,even with my 20 plus yr old equipment...I cant afford new engines and machines,so its cheaper to maintain the ones we have.I am running mostly air cooled small engines 25hp and below,and I get 3000-5000hrs out of OHV Kohler Commands,Briggs Vanguards,and Diahatsu /Cushman engines easily and these things are worked hard...The shame is the Ventrac 31 Gas Daihatsu/Briggs should run 10000-15000 hrs if maintained with no problem..Ive never seen the design to life specs on a Ventrac spec 950 gas,but the 3600RPM genset version has a 20,000-40,000 hr life expectancy..so no reason to think the ventrac couldnt hit the low side of that number at least,depending on how it was run,and maintained....
I was going to repower with a Briggs diesel since they are plentiful,but have never seen a 26.5 diesel or a 3 1turbo diesel with more than 2000 hrs...im not saying they arent out there,but the few i know of have had one form of castastrophic engine failure between 500-2000 hrs..usually throwing a rod or engine runaway from injection pump issues...so im reluctant to go diesel...I have a perfect running kubota d1105e 28hp ,but its 2" too long to fit..or its be in there ,as kubotas are great diesels...

Raw Dodge

Threads
I think I saw one on Ebay

Thanks I seen that too,spoke with the owner,very nice guy,but i cant see spending 4200 by the time it gets here on a used engine with no warranty...his price is the same as full retail thru ventrac...I priced one locally,now trying to see if they can locate one for me,ill have a new crate engine under warranty..which i expect for $ 4000 on a 31hp gas engine...I can do a new NA 26.5 diesel cheaper,but they are not nearly as reliable an engine not to mention the power/torque differences will be night and day.The 31TD is not an option for me,so I didnt bother pricing one.

Raw Dodge

Threads
Ok I found a rebuildable core engine,a 31hp ,with about 400 on the clock,with a lower end noise...I am going to use whatever i need off it to repair mine.I think Im going to use the head on my block which seems to be fine other than some freeze plugs,I believe.Im getting it checked now...I was blowing coolant right out the muffler,so i believe the head gasket was bad and possibly the head cracked as well....If anyone wants ill post pics as I go....

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure -- pictures are always good ! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Raw Dodge

Threads
Here are a few i took of the old engine and the new head going on...found out the old engine has just 21hrs on it....makes me want to use the short block even more...first pic (head with exhaust manifold) is the one going on....the short block is the one from my machine....I may dissassemble the parts lower end and see whats wrong with it,the bores are clean....

Attachments

• 2012-03-20 18.48.02.jpg
    2012-03-20 18.48.02.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2012-03-20 18.48.12.jpg
    2012-03-20 18.48.12.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 60