MTD Tiller Tranny

purplewg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I am working on one that would not shift at all. I opened the tranny and repaired the shift fork. It worked for about 45 minutes and now the tranny is gone again. I opened it up again and after many hours of fooling with it I think I now understand how the shift mechanism is supposed to work. The drive shaft (has the shift collar, gears, and these are the parts the shifter moves) when I first pulled it apart had two longish keys that slide up and down the shaft. Well when I pulled the shift collar those just came along with it the first time. I put them back (the first time) with no problem. Now this time they would not go back and I discovered they have to go down below a retaining ring on the bottom (left most) part of the shaft. I got that figured out.

My problem is seems is these key that have a curve and are springy do not lock up the bottom gear (left most) when in the reversed position. They do not spring out enough to catch the bottom gear. If I rock the top (right most) of these keys out with a screw driver the bottom rocks over and locks the bottom gear. I can't figure out what is supposed to do this other than me and a screw driver. lol the parts pictures don't even show these keys at all. I did find them in a parts list though. I'm thinking these keys may not be bent like they were but I have no way of knowing. I just don't know what else would/could rock them other than the curvature of the key itself.

Anyone know what I am talking about and some idea on what to do?