Problem with John Deere 317

AMustachedFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I recently bought a JD 317 (not the one with the bad engine).I've had it for 2 months, ran fine when I bought it, and started every time I tried over the winter. Got it out for the spring to do some work on it; replaced belts,spark-plugs, changed hydraulic oil. Ran it out in the field for about ten minutes using the tiller. It ran fine but we noticed the throttle had to be all the way out. If we pushed it in, it would die. The next morning I went out early to change the oil and do some tilling. It was kind of difficult to start but it did and I let it run for 5 or so minutes to warm it up before changing the oil. Changed the oil and then started to drive it to the field. It drove but it was getting very weak power and took a lot of effort to get it up the slight incline. Then I got in my field and it died and then would not start again. I went to the technical manual to do some troubleshooting, but to be honest I have little knowledge about small engines and this is my first machine. The manual said to test if fuel was getting to the combustion chamber by removing the spark-plug wire, cranking the engine for 15 seconds, and then take the spark-plug out and see if there was gas on it. I did this and there was gas on the plugs so according to the manual, I am getting fuel to the combustion chamber. I am wondering what my next step should be. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Carl T

Threads
There is a small fine mesh screen in the fuel tank on the shutoff valve. That will plug up and cause some of the problems you describe, also check the fuel itself make sure it is fresh and the can used was clean and free of moisture.
You will need to drain the fuel before removing the shutoff, clean it off and reinstall it may cure your problem.

AMustachedFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies, guys. I adjusted the carburetor(it was running too rich) and it started right up.