Engine Quits When Clutch is Released

dnelms

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tractor will crank fine. Once you release the clutch (or with the clutch in, start the PTO to engage blades), the engine will cut off. So I replaced the seat switch and the 2 limit switches at the clutch and the engage for the blades. Same problem. I'm stumped!!! What would be the next thing to check?

Forgot to add it is Murray model # 425001X8B Built 4/2004

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely cause is something wrong with the wiring going to one of the safety switches. broken or grounded wire, corroded electric terminal. You will have to check the wiring for problems.

dnelms

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most likely cause is something wrong with the wiring going to one of the safety switches. broken or grounded wire, corroded electric terminal. You will have to check the wiring for problems.

Thanks... I just went over all the wiring I could see and follow. Did not see any obvious signs of wear anywhere. Did unseat, clean and reattach anything wiring related, still no go.

A little guidance... I know from experience (from my truck) that tracking down and fixing wiring problems can get expensive. Since I'm at the end of my limited knowledge of replacing parts and checking wires, it's time to take it to a professional. Given that the tractor is 8 years old, am I better off in investing in another machine at this point?

twinfords

Threads
make sure that the safety switches are engaging and also that the mower deck is not binding up somewhere, could be the clutch for the belts as well.

twinfords

Threads
make sure you can spin everything freely by hand with the plug wires off of course.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a collector bag for that model?
if you dont have the bag on and the safety switch pressed the engine will cut out every time you engage the pto.