John Deere STX38

schumed

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I just picked up a free John Deere STX 38 for free...awesome condition....however mouse or some other creature chewed up some wiring.

I have repaired the chewed up a wire I believe but still nothing. The bare wire was touching metal I'm wondering if something got shortened out when the previous user tried to start. I know battery is good that has been tested. Not sure how to troubleshoot at this point. Never missed with the electrical.

Any tips?

benski

Threads
So I just picked up a free John Deere STX 38 for free...awesome condition....however mouse or some other creature chewed up some wiring.

I have repaired the chewed up a wire I believe but still nothing. The bare wire was touching metal I'm wondering if something got shortened out when the previous user tried to start. I know battery is good that has been tested. Not sure how to troubleshoot at this point. Never missed with the electrical.

Any tips?

Get a manual if you can. Failing that, you'll have to take a close look at all the wires. Check for loose connections, switches that are stuck open or closed, worn through insulation on wires, rodent damage, and anything that is out of place. Those little STX 38s are very nice machines. You'll find it worth your time to make it right. Fair market value right now in my area runs about $400 to $600, more if it has the bagging system.:licking: There are also commercially available diagnostic tools you can buy to find opens, shorts, excessive voltage drops, etc., but the good ones are not inexpensive....gee, I'm shocked..

schumed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cool...been trying to find a manual

I've got the bagger system and it has new tires

benski

Threads
Cool...been trying to find a manual

I've got the bagger system and it has new tires
You might see if you've got an in-line fuse holder somewhere with a blown fuse, too.:biggrin:

jameso8

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got a stx 38 for $100 and when i got it home to get it going i noticed all the engine mounting bolts were gone can anyone tell me what size bolts i need to get? Its a 12.5 kohler thanks

minglis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought one for $300, but can't get the wheel off to replace a bad tire. Pulled the retainer ring off, but wheel won't come off. Ideas? Also, it acts like it needs a new tranny... higher gears won't work. Can I get a used one? If so, where?
thanks,

PJ

Threads

Any tips?
Hi
I suggest obtain the wiring diagram from your dealer or on the net. It is not a lot of fuss if you have electrical background. The safety swithing on JD equipment is pretty well designed
Hope you get success
PJ