Repairs Yard Machine (MTD) 46" Automatic Drive Belt - 601 Series

smithkm71

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yard Machine (MTD) 46" Automatic Drive Belt - 601 Series
Last year I broke my lower drive belt and purchased a new one from TSC. I put it on like the instructions said, but it slipped quite a bit going uphill and was going slow over the lawn. The last mow of the year it slipped and turned sideways. This damaged (gouged/cracked) the belt beyond limits. I just got a new belt (754-0467) for the spring. I installed it and this time it is so loose it will not even engage. I adjusted the idler rod (747-1127) all the way back to try to get it to engage, but no good. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the two belt variable system that MTD uses, you have to replace both belts at the same time because it throws the sync off and won't engage properly. The other possibility would be that one of the pulleys is badly worn and bottoming out in the pulley and not allowing the belt to grip the pulley.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the belt is a 5/8 not a 1/2 I have ordered the belts and have got one was skinny and one was fat. They both need to be 5/8. And on the pulley where the both go on make sure the middle part of the pulley moves up and down easy. And make sure the top belt the one that goes to the back is around the the idler pulley the right way. I know it looks like it could only be one way but my brother inlaw put it on wrong

Sent from my iPhone using LMF