Engine Lawnboy 10323 Duraforce Engine - Idle/govenor issues

kuhlag

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawnboy 10323 Duraforce Engine - Idle/govenor issues
I have a '99 Lawnboy 10323 with a 6.5HP Duraforce (2 stroke) engine. It was having issues starting last weekend, so I took apart the carb and cleaned out all the jets. The carb looked very clean; no signs of dirt or damage inside the carb. The govenor spring was broken or detached. So, I bought a new spring, and installed today. It starts on the first pull with one prime and on choke.
I am now having issues with the mower 'hunting' for the idle speed. I adjusted the govenor dial, and it seems to run when the throttle is near choke. However, it will not maintain idle at low speeds. A mid-speed, it runs fast, then slows, then fast, then slow, etc.
Any feedback or suggestions from anyone with similar issues would be great.
Thanks!

kuhlag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I removed the carb, totally disassembled all the jets, and cleaned everything (again). In addition, I adjusted the float to ensure there was plenty of fuel coming in.
After I put it all back together, it starts on the first pull. It runs smooth at lower RPMs now (doesn't stall out) and it runs ok at higher RPMs, but it still surges in RPM slightly.
Any ideas on how to smooth out the idle RPM at 'fast' speed?
Thanks,

Deere318

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I removed the carb, totally disassembled all the jets, and cleaned everything (again). In addition, I adjusted the float to ensure there was plenty of fuel coming in.
After I put it all back together, it starts on the first pull. It runs smooth at lower RPMs now (doesn't stall out) and it runs ok at higher RPMs, but it still surges in RPM slightly.
Any ideas on how to smooth out the idle RPM at 'fast' speed?
Thanks,

On the side of the carb there is a jet. It may be underneath a part number sticker. Take the side jet out clean both it and inside where it screws in. Should take care of your issue

skm348

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you turn that screw (under the sticker) all the way in or do you back it out a bit after fully seating it?. I've cleaned my carb thoroughly and adjusted the 'notched' govenor wheel counterclockwise to 'tighten' the gov spring a bit. It finished the yard great w/no surging but when cutting last night it was surging again.

Any hints?
Thanks!

Deere318

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turn it all the way in and just snug it up. You don't have to make it extra tight. Also, put a piece of electrical tape over the hole where the jet goes in. The sticker is there from the factory so I always cover it back up.

Rudedog

Threads
On the side of the carb there is a jet. It may be underneath a part number sticker. Take the side jet out clean both it and inside where it screws in. Should take care of your issue

Turn it all the way in and just snug it up. You don't have to make it extra tight. Also, put a piece of electrical tape over the hole where the jet goes in. The sticker is there from the factory so I always cover it back up.

Thanks Deere318. I just finished this and it really improved the way the machine runs. Got rid of that hunting problem. Very satisfying fix with a modicum of effort.

kmeche

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have had the same issue with my 10323. Purchased the last one in South Louisiana, for sentimental reasons. Back in my childhood, I rode my bike across town and mowed grass with the home-owners Lawn Boy movers and I fell in love. What I bad decision I made buying this piece of crap! Words can't express how disgusted I am with this machine! The engine "surged" from day #1. It went back to the shop 3 times and the problem was never solved. I decided to push it under my covered deck and let it sit. It has been there for about 8 years. For some reason I decided that the machine needed a rebirth. COMPLETELY took the machine down. New coil, plug, piston, prime bulb, gaskets and needle bearings for the rotating assembly. It starts beautifully with ether, but will not stay running. For some reason, I can't seem to get the gas to the carb. Rebuilt the machine completely today (and carb), same problem. Anyone have a solution as to why fuel doesn't get to the carb when I prime the crap out of this machine? I love Lawn Boys, always have. I have a lemon and I know it. My machine has approximately 3 hours on it. I spent 5 hours on this machine today. If I was paid my normal wage while working on this machine, I would have wasted $350 today. I'm stubborn and I don't let machines get the best of me (my wife thinks I am crazy, she told me to go buy a new one). We have a lawn service that cuts the yard, but that isn't the point, I want my machine to run. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

turfboy1997

Threads
I have had the same issue with my 10323. Purchased the last one in South Louisiana, for sentimental reasons. Back in my childhood, I rode my bike across town and mowed grass with the home-owners Lawn Boy movers and I fell in love. What I bad decision I made buying this piece of crap! Words can't express how disgusted I am with this machine! The engine "surged" from day #1. It went back to the shop 3 times and the problem was never solved. I decided to push it under my covered deck and let it sit. It has been there for about 8 years. For some reason I decided that the machine needed a rebirth. COMPLETELY took the machine down. New coil, plug, piston, prime bulb, gaskets and needle bearings for the rotating assembly. It starts beautifully with ether, but will not stay running. For some reason, I can't seem to get the gas to the carb. Rebuilt the machine completely today (and carb), same problem. Anyone have a solution as to why fuel doesn't get to the carb when I prime the crap out of this machine? I love Lawn Boys, always have. I have a lemon and I know it. My machine has approximately 3 hours on it. I spent 5 hours on this machine today. If I was paid my normal wage while working on this machine, I would have wasted $350 today. I'm stubborn and I don't let machines get the best of me (my wife thinks I am crazy, she told me to go buy a new one). We have a lawn service that cuts the yard, but that isn't the point, I want my machine to run. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Clean out your gas tank. Check your float and float height. Your main jet or idle jet may be clogged. Could have gunk in the seat of the carb restricting flow into the bowl. Make sure your gas cap is venting. I drill all my duras out when i get them now. I would guess i have done about 20 or so in the last 2 years and every one of them has been made to run as good or better than the F series i am assuming you are speaking of from your childhood. Duraforce is a great engine with a horrible carburetor! By the way of those 20 or so duraforce engines i have drilled not one of them has come back for fixing. i think the micro drill bit sizes are 67 for the main and 77 for the idle. I have sent all the duraforces down the road except for a couple. They are great money makers for me when this drilling is performed and they sound awesome which usually sells them. I have almost trimmed my whole collection to F series engines. I would recommend you try and find a mower with an F engine if you want that nostalgia because in my opinion the F's and the best, quietest and most reliable.

beg

Threads
I agree I too am one to not let a machine get the best of me the duraforce may or may not be the best lawnboy motor but all 8 of mine work great with the mods that I picked up on this forum.the f motor is great too but the duraforce has more power.

Bubbahab

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean out your gas tank. Check your float and float height. Your main jet or idle jet may be clogged. Could have gunk in the seat of the carb restricting flow into the bowl. Make sure your gas cap is venting. I drill all my duras out when i get them now. I would guess i have done about 20 or so in the last 2 years and every one of them has been made to run as good or better than the F series i am assuming you are speaking of from your childhood. Duraforce is a great engine with a horrible carburetor! By the way of those 20 or so duraforce engines i have drilled not one of them has come back for fixing. i think the micro drill bit sizes are 67 for the main and 77 for the idle. I have sent all the duraforces down the road except for a couple. They are great money makers for me when this drilling is performed and they sound awesome which usually sells them. I have almost trimmed my whole collection to F series engines. I would recommend you try and find a mower with an F engine if you want that nostalgia because in my opinion the F's and the best, quietest and most reliable.

Man, you sure make it sound easy - GONNA give it a shot!