Mower deck Stuck Bearing

cfmechanics

Threads
Hello, I am currently refurbishing my mower deck but one of my sealed bearings underneath the pulley has got stuck and I am wondering if anyone know how to remove it properly without damaging it (too much). Should it just slide/knock off or is it attached with something?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

CF

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Assuming you are talking about your Westwood, Whats the approx age? Whats the size of the deck? Does it have 2 or three blades?

cfmechanics

Threads
Hi, Yes I am talking about my Westwood T1200. It is 1989 with the standard 36" deck with 2 blades.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are refurbishing the mower deck why would you not install all new bearings and seals. If you get the numbers off the bearing and seals they aren't that expensive. In US you can buy then in most auto parts store by size or number. I order a lot of my bearings and seals off E-bay at very cheap prices.

cfmechanics

Threads
Yes, I am going to install new bearings and seals however how would you suggest I get the old ones off? They really are stuck on the shaft...It's proving quite tricky.

Thanks.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
No the bearing is not attached to anything apart from the shaft and the housing.
The housing should have two parts to it with an upper and lower housing case.
If the bearing is stuck on the shaft, the only way is a good hit with a hammer.
If you can use gas bottles to heat up inner race of bearing and cool down in water it should come off.
The bearings you should use is a 6205 RS.
Its just rust thats preventing it from coming off.

cfmechanics

Threads
No the bearing is not attached to anything apart from the shaft and the housing.
The housing should have two parts to it with an upper and lower housing case.
If the bearing is stuck on the shaft, the only way is a good hit with a hammer.
If you can use gas bottles to heat up inner race of bearing and cool down in water it should come off.
The bearings you should use is a 6205 RS.
Its just rust thats preventing it from coming off.

Okay thanks very much for the reply. I will have another go at it tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get it off now. :smile:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Westwood mowers aren't common here in the USA and 2 piece bearing housings are probably less common. That's interesting enough to me I'd sure like to see a picture of the 2 piece housing if you have the time.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Westwood mowers aren't common here in the USA and 2 piece bearing housings are probably less common. That's interesting enough to me I'd sure like to see a picture of the 2 piece housing if you have the time.

They have stopped making them years ago. They have gone to a single housing now.
It was a tin housing that had a bearing and sat on 1 side of the deck and another housing that was on the other side of the deck with a shaft through the middle.

cfmechanics

Threads
They have stopped making them years ago. They have gone to a single housing now.
It was a tin housing that had a bearing and sat on 1 side of the deck and another housing that was on the other side of the deck with a shaft through the middle.
That's very interesting to know. So do you know when it was phased out so I know for the next deck restoration I do?

Thanks.