Mower deck Stuck Bearing

cfmechanics

Threads
Yes, I am using steel on steel - I take it that's not a recommended way of doing it. I have heated the bearing but still no luck. I can cut it with a grinder though if you think that's a good idea, I am replacing all the bearings anyway.
I can't use a vice because the shaft is stuck on the deck until I get the bearing off unfortunately.

I totally understand what you are saying. It has come very apparant that you need more than a couple of tools to do this job with. I will continue to work on it and hopefully it will be off soon.

This thread and everyone who has commented in it has been very helpful and I am grateful of that.

Thanks everyone! :smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I am using steel on steel - I take it that's not a recommended way of doing it. I have heated the bearing but still no luck. I can cut it with a grinder though if you think that's a good idea, I am replacing all the bearings anyway.
I can't use a vice because the shaft is stuck on the deck until I get the bearing off unfortunately.

I totally understand what you are saying. It has come very apparant that you need more than a couple of tools to do this job with. I will continue to work on it and hopefully it will be off soon.

This thread and everyone who has commented in it has been very helpful and I am grateful of that.

Thanks everyone! :smile:

Is it a hand grinder and if so very carefully split the bearing with a thin stone or cut off wheel. My self I use a rotozip or die grinder with a cut off wheel. A few small marks into the shaft won't hurt a thing as long as you don't put them into the key slot. When I say heat the bearing I am saying red to white hot but shouldn't need to if you can split the bearing races unless you have a set of torches. Now remember the new bearing has to go on, so this lip or ridge still has to be removed. Do you have a good sharp hand file?

cfmechanics

Threads
Is it a hand grinder and if so very carefully split the bearing with a thin stone or cut off wheel. My self I use a rotozip or die grinder with a cut off wheel. A few small marks into the shaft won't hurt a thing as long as you don't put them into the key slot. When I say heat the bearing I am saying red to white hot but shouldn't need to if you can split the bearing races unless you have a set of torches. Now remember the new bearing has to go on, so this lip or ridge still has to be removed. Do you have a good sharp hand file?
Yes it is a hand grinder so that should do the job. I do have a brand new set of sharp hand files so yes I can remove the ridge/lip with that. Does it matter too much if I take a little to much off the ridge?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got thinking about it. Steel on Steel can be very dangerous. A harden steel bearing and hammer. Make sure you are wearing very good eye protection. I have had to go to the doctors more then once to have a peace of steel taken out of my arm or leg.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you are install the new bearing onto the shaft install the shaft into your vice and take your time and just keep trying the new bearing so you just have a little resistance but can slide it on by hand. Take your time and once your are to that point I am sure you will see what I mean.

cfmechanics

Threads
When you are install the new bearing onto the shaft install the shaft into your vice and take your time and just keep trying the new bearing so you just have a little resistance but can slide it on by hand. Take your time and once your are to that point I am sure you will see what I mean.
Okay, thanks very much.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, thanks very much.

But he cant install the bearing on the shaft as its a housing that comes in 2 parts.
The housings have to be fitted to the deck then the shaft fitted.
Keep filing the lip until the bearing comes off. its only the pulley thats going back on where you have filed and the key and bolt will hold it.
Take care when removing housing and bearing as they can crack.

cfmechanics

Threads
But he cant install the bearing on the shaft as its a housing that comes in 2 parts.
The housings have to be fitted to the deck then the shaft fitted.
That's a very good point, I didn't think of that.

cfmechanics

Threads
Hi again everyone, just letting you know that I have finally got the bearing off. In the end I cut it off using reynoldston's suggestions.

Thanks for all the help :)