Brand new grass

stanley

Threads
This is a true story, tell me if you've ever heard of anything like it before. We've been in our current home about 4 years now. About a month ago I was out in the front most part of my yard mowing down all the weeds. That's about all that grew out there. You could see little patches of grass here and there trying to make it, but not succeeding very well. Well, after I got done, I saturated the ground with Roundup concentrate all vegetation killer because I got tired of going out every year chopping down weeds. About a week after that, we got steady rain for about a week. It's more rain in a one week period that I've seen since we moved here. About a day or two after it was done raining, I went out to the front porch for my morning smoke, and lo and behold, the areas that I mowed down and applied Roundup too was thick with Bermuda grass! The only thing I can think of, was that the previous owner planted the seeds long ago, and they've been sitting dormant all this time. What else could it be, right?

outdoors Joe

Threads
It sure would be a pleasant surprise to find the grass growing after all that time. That's all I can think it would be. It would be a long time for the seeds to stay dormant, wouldn't it? It seems like they would have died in that long a time.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is one good thing about Round UP ... if it is not a growing plant... it will generally not bother it... there some Round Up ready crops being planted that take advantage of that... :smile:KennyV

outdoors Joe

Threads
I thought the Round Up Ready crops, which are genetically engineered to withstand the Round Up, are able to withstand it being sprayed around them even while they are growing. Am I wrong about that?

Smartaleck

Threads
Blimey, magic juice! I need some of that stuff ! I'm going to treat my patchy, moss and weed covered bit of lawn round the back and I'll wait with baited breath for it to be magically transformed into a lush patch of grassland. I wish!:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought the Round Up Ready crops, which are genetically engineered to withstand the Round Up, are able to withstand it being sprayed around them even while they are growing. Am I wrong about that?

That is correct... and that is the 'advantage' that that particular crop will have... :smile:KennyV

greenacre

Threads
That's an awesome story, I wish we could all be so lucky! I will have to give that a try once all this stupid snow melts away.