A-C Cab

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have done a lot of research on this. First off the engine can handle it but not sure of a good way to mount and add pulleys. The big issue is I am not sure the charging system can handle running the blower Motor

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have done a lot of research on this. First off the engine can handle it but not sure of a good way to mount and add pulleys. The big issue is I am not sure the charging system can handle running the blower Motor

If you did your research you know more then I on this because I didn't. I wouldn't even know where to do such research? Now I didn't think that mounting a pulley would would be that bad. I was thinking something off the flywheel and all you would need is a small blower motor. Now your research in on a good 100+ degree Florida day with a full heavy lawn of grass and you say a 20 HP air cooled engine will also run a AC compressor also your generating more electric to run blower fan. Now maybe with just standard 5W30 oil in the engine also. Maybe I would recommend a oil cooler. Good luck on that one.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One man I talked to said could run a electric motor off of a electric water pump

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
One man I talked to said could run a electric motor off of a electric water pump

You got me on that one? Where is the electric water pump on a 20 HP B&S air cooled engine? I didn't know that Craftsman had any water cooled engines. Now we are talking about installing a AC unit on a Craftsman not a John Deere. I am learning more all the time.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok read my post one more time I said a electric water pump I did not say the electric water pump that is on the mower as we all know that a air cooled engine does not have a water pump. But now most race cars run a electric water pump or you could even get a 3hp 12 volt motor to run it. But not once did I say a 20hp Briggs air cooled had a water pump

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok read my post one more time I said a electric water pump I did not say the electric water pump that is on the mower as we all know that a air cooled engine does not have a water pump. But now most race cars run a electric water pump or you could even get a 3hp 12 volt motor to run it. But not once did I say a 20hp Briggs air cooled had a water pump

Just got me confused here. Just didn't understand where the electric water pump come into play when we were talking air cooled. I just thought you were talking about a water cooled engine? I am still very confused as to what you are saying. You are way over my head when you are saying one electric motor will run another electric motor. I would also think that a 3 HP motor would be one large motor seeing I worked on electric fork trucks for ten years and know motor sizes. I hve gotten way over my head on this one???

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either way it just seams to me would just be to much work to add a cab and AC to a riding mower. Now it might be fun to do just to say you did it if you have the time and money to waste. I guess if you ( not saying you ) can not cut your grass in the heat you ( again not saying you ) should pay some one to cut it for you or don't live in the south

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either way it just seams to me would just be to much work to add a cab and AC to a riding mower. Now it might be fun to do just to say you did it if you have the time and money to waste. I guess if you ( not saying you ) can not cut your grass in the heat you ( again not saying you ) should pay some one to cut it for you or don't live in the south

Boy do you have it right on the money there. Couldn't say it any better myself.

Cokeorcoffee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hate to bust your bubbles on the A/C unit for your lawn mowers, but it makes no difference if it's a JD, Sears, Toro, Cub Cadet, etc, etc, if your tractor is 30 HP and you have a seventy two inch deck, your grass is a tad bit tall, your charging system is at the most fifteen to eighteen amps. The clutch on the compressor is about five amps, the cluth for the deck is about the same. NOW, we add a blower for the evaporator and we also add a fan/blower for the condensing unit. For both of those, we are at about twenty five + amps, ....ooops, we just crashed the charging system. So, now it's off to the parts store for a retro fit GM sixty three amp alternator. NOW, much to your suprise, that alternator requires about seven HP, along with the compressor (an axial unit draws about eight to twelve HP) we are up to about sixteen HP. The operating system of a mower (transmission) uses about six or seven HP to propel my fat butt around. Now, we are up to about twenty two Hp. This leaves about eight HP to run a seventy two inch deck. You swith on the clutch that powers the deck and head out to mow. The blades hit the first few feet of grass and all of a sudden, the engine kills like someone stuch a crowbar inbetween the crankshaft and block. We sit in the cab, (now getting warm) and say to ourself, WTF? My push mower with a twenty one inch deck has a six and one half HP engine .... you might be able to reduce your deck size to about a twenty three inch deck and stay cool and mow. OR, you can go buy a fifteen ft Bush Hog batwing mower. http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/2615 2610earlyparts.pdf ... OK, just scratch build one with a ninety inch deck and use a small block Chevy :biggrin:
Nuff said! :tongue:

dogon1013

Threads
you could just mount a few of these around you. they are batery powered.
Amazon.com: Small Fan & Mini-Air Conditioner: The Original Handy Cooler in Blue. Portable and convenient. Runs on batteries or USB. Cools air up to 30F.: Computers & Accessories

Or here is a 12 volt unit designed for use in an airplane cab. It claims it will cool for 1.5 hours. (I think it may use ice to cool the air)
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Portable-Airplane-Conditioner-Volt/dp/B005UZYHF4

and here is a simple $40 unit that attaches to a cooler that you fill with ice.
http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Portable-Air-Conditioner/dp/B001448O9K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

There is really no need to get a whole car style AC unit with compressor/evaporator/coolant that would strain the electrical system. These Ice based units should work long enough for most lawn mowing jobs.