not a clean cut in the middle?

bubba827

Threads
Woow glad I found this site.....anyway long story short i bought a 227 mower about 5 years ago and was cutting a pasture and I was almost finished when i hit a stump at full speed, stopping the mower dead in its tracks and of course I played superman flying thru the air. i am sure the deck had to have gotten bent some, but ever since then the mower just does not cut as good, when in tall grass it does not cut cleanly in the center, it leaves some of it uncut....it just kinda beats it down.I have checked cutting height, bearings, changed spindles. i have also noticed when i cut anything flimsy like weeds it just beats it down and does not cut it. I am about at the end of my line here so Thanks in advance and sorry if I left some important info out...just ask and i will try to answer any questions...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't see where you tryed new blades

fastback

Threads
Yes the blades would be a good place to start. Did you by any chance remove the blade and reinstall it up side down? If that is ok try moving an out side blade and install it in the center. See if that changes the cut. One other thing did you twist the deck in any way?

bubba827

Threads
yes srry I have changed blades many times, and as far as twisting the deck i guess that is possible. The mower stopped dead in its tracks. I will try changing the outside blade with the middle blade. I was wondering if maybe this has something to do with it not cutting weeds as good as it does regular grass. I thought that the mower maybe creating so much down force with the blades turning so fast that maybe it was forcing the weeds down as the mower went over them?......just my thoughts...any other ideas?...........................................................how would I know if the deck was twisted?

173abn

Threads
two thoughts,if you hit the stump hard enough to launch you off the mower you might have bent the deck where the spindle bolts onto to it.another thought is did you torque the blade down to specs?almost sounds like when you try to cut heavy grass and weeds that the blade stops due to it not being tight.did you put a new spindle on? russ

Parkmower

Threads
173abn said:
two thoughts,if you hit the stump hard enough to launch you off the mower you might have bent the deck where the spindle bolts onto to it.another thought is did you torque the blade down to specs?almost sounds like when you try to cut heavy grass and weeds that the blade stops due to it not being tight.did you put a new spindle on? russ

I'd say one of or both those two are the culprit.

bubba827

Threads
yes i changed the middle spindle and torqued the blades to specs....even changed belt and adjusted tension pulley.......really at a lost here to be honest......weeds and grass are growing fast here so can i post a pic on here of what it is really doing?

Parkmower

Threads
How often are you mowing. I've noticed the same kinda thing happen when I let certain areas go a week or two.

Cuttinup

Threads
I had similar problem and fixed it by buying a new deck. U had to of bent ur deck.

173abn

Threads
jack your mower up high enough to see the blades,then move them using the belt and see if they all move in alignment.if the middle blade is out of alignment you should see it.if new spindle then your deck is bent.be sure to disconnect plug wire.also blades are stamped which side down..russ