Engine drags

OldHenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19hp/42" Craftsman Riding mower that's giving me some problems. It was running fine last year and now when I go to start it, the engine drags. The starter is new, so is the battery. If I remove the spark plug (there is spark by the way) the engine spins normally and the plug is wet (getting fuel) Also is there an easy way to tell if you need either a ign. switch or a solenoid without just blindly replacing the parts? Any test that I can do? I turn the key and nothing happens. I've been trying to start it by jumping the solenoid. It's a good mower, has a Vangard engine with fuel pump and oil filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
ps. I've also tried starting it using my large battery charger which will start cars no problem, it still drags.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 19hp/42" Craftsman Riding mower that's giving me some problems. It was running fine last year and now when I go to start it, the engine drags. The starter is new, so is the battery. If I remove the spark plug (there is spark by the way) the engine spins normally and the plug is wet (getting fuel) Also is there an easy way to tell if you need either a ign. switch or a solenoid without just blindly replacing the parts? Any test that I can do? I turn the key and nothing happens. I've been trying to start it by jumping the solenoid. It's a good mower, has a Vangard engine with fuel pump and oil filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
ps. I've also tried starting it using my large battery charger which will start cars no problem, it still drags.
So you've already bought a starter and battery. Now it's time to adjust the valves if your engine releases a little compression via cam lobe and valves.

OldHenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, from what I see is: Intake .004-.006 and exhaust .007-.009, correct? Any ideas on the switch/solenoid problem? And do you mean that improper valve lash could be my problem? Wow, I've ran solid lifters in cars and never had them get so bad as to keep it from starting. Noisy, yes. Thanks for the answers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is overhead valve as I suspect then the valves clearances are .004-.006 for intake and exhaust.

OldHenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, forgive me for being ignorant about this, but this is the first overhead fractional horsepower engine I've owned. Everything else was flathead.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, forgive me for being ignorant about this, but this is the first overhead fractional horsepower engine I've owned. Everything else was flathead.
If you have more questions or need more assistance don't hesitate to ask for help.

packkelley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the spark plug out and see if it turns over mine had had gas in it it was seeping by float