Cub Cadet 2166 dies when mowing

Highgrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm pretty sure i have an electrical problem. I can mow for a few minutes and the engine just dies. Sometimes it will start right back up, sometimes i have to wait a little while. I have changed the fuel pump and cleaned the carb. I was able to move the shroud back enough to remove the coil and clean where it mounts and also the flywheel magnets. I clipped the wires on the seat safety switch and taped them.(i'll reconnect later) Still the same problem. I want to move the shroud back and disconnect the wire that grounds the coil through the safety switches to see if the coil is bad but i don't know which one to disconnect.(there are four wires besides the high tension wire that goes to the coil) If someone could direct me to which color wire to remove i would sure appreciate it. Thanks Chuck

Highgrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update------The problem was my key switch. I was wiggling the harness at the key switch while cranking the engine and it started. I saw on this forum that someone had a similar problem and the solution was a new key switch so i checked mine and sure enough it was bad. The guy that had this mower kept it outside and rain got to the switch. I'm glad i moved the shroud and cleaned the coil anyway. The valve cover had leaked for a long time and dirt and oil was packed all around the engine. I got all that cleaned out so i'm sure the engine will run cooler. And who knows, maybe that fuel pump was about to go out next.....LOL!!! I was able to pull the connector back a little from the key switch to keep it running and was able to finish mowing. Thanks Chuck