first time residential purchase! budget help please!

samoset

Threads
  • / first time residential purchase! budget help please!
Hello everyone,
I have about 3 acres of semi rugged lawn to cut 90% if it is on a decent incline. I push cut it last year with a hand me down yard machine. Sadly the amount of work my yard put on the little mower was its demise. Id put 4-5 hours a week on it .

Anyways I don't mind walking behind a mower twice a week for a hour and a half at a time! So I'm prob not going to spend on a riding mower unless I find one for a steal!

I'm not completely sure I want a self propelled as I walk fast and I don't want to feel held back but if I could get one that is a true 4mph id prob be satisfied!

Id like two spend under $300 but if its worth it id spend upto $400 I'm leaning heavily towards a Honda as my local john deer dealer carries them and told me they service all warranty/repairs in house!

Any advice 0n good mowers under $300 will be greatly appreciated!

samoset

Threads
I faild to menton in My first post that I have lots of pine trees in my yard and even though I rake as much as I can. The mower blade need to handle mulching cones straw and small pine twigs! Thanks again for any advice I'm a first time mower buyer and spending a few hundred dollars on anything has me a bit weary I don't make a lot of money if I did is pay a professional to cut my lawn.

Parkmower

Threads
I'd tell that dealer everything you just told us. With them doing repairs in house that's the people to work with. You may need to buy an after market blade or just run the one on it and replace next year if needed. Push mower blades are cheap. I don't think spending $20 a year is a big deal.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
3 acres of mowing with a small push mower. I would say look for something used and bigger.

samoset

Threads
I'm currently searching my area for used commercial walk behinds or used riding mowers but nothing in my price range even if spend an extra hundred! Then I would have to wait for my new trimmer ;)

I'm no stranger to hard work! Or long walks

Last edited:

honestblades

Threads
The best thing that you can do is search craigslist for a used riding mower. I see them pop up all the time in the $300-$500 range. It sounds like you have alot of grass to cut,and a standard run of the mill riding mower won't last forever doing that your going to use it for....but if you change the oil after every few cuts,and clean out the air filter after each cut,it will probabally last you a few years. Thats what I would do. Heck maybe you can find a couple people that live close to you that will let you cut their yard every two weeks or so. That would help you get your money back.

samoset

Threads
Just inherited another damn yardmachine 21" 4hp briggs with it coming from the inlaws there is no way wife aka boss is going to let me spend half a g on another push mower! Might be time to start looking a little harder into a riding mower! Otherwise I'm just going to destroy this little mower with this yard! Did it last year!

tyjoja

Threads
I found a couple honda hrc-216's within your budget, and put a little money and elbow grease in them. Very fast and heavy duty mowers that you can find parts for and should last. look on craigslist

samoset

Threads
Well obviously there's a different market between here and Oregon on Craigslist! Appreciate the reply but I've been keeping an eye both on the web and in local markets and such! I will eventually find what I'm looking for!

On A up note I purchased a new echo pas with trimmer head. Which should save my mtd yard junk from a few hours of torture.