Murray smoking and rattling. 12.5 hp Briggs OHV

88GeeTee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Neighbor lady has a Murray riding mower with a 12.5hp Briggs OHV. Starts instantly and seems to run OK but smokes like a b*%$ and is noisy (rattling).
I think the motor is probably toast, what else will fit?
I told her I'd swap the motor but really not interested in rebuilding it.

Thanks!:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...

Check the oil level... likely has gasoline in it... causing it to be thin & overfull..
This will cause both of your symptoms & will harm the engine if you run it like that...

The typical cause is fuel flooding through the carb while the engine is off, it gets into the cylinder, goes past the rings and into the crankcase.. :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
Welcome to LMF...

Check the oil level... likely has gasoline in it... causing it to be thin & overfull..
This will cause both of your symptoms & will harm the engine if you run it like that...

The typical cause is fuel flooding through the carb while the engine is off, it gets into the cylinder, goes past the rings and into the crankcase.. :smile:KennyV

I'll bet Kenny is spot on..check it out.:biggrin:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you do decide to replace the engine and want the lease amount of work if it was me I would instill the same model engine I took out. This way also you would have a lot of exter parts if something was bad on the replacement engine and everthing would fit. If not I would say a rebuild would be easyer and less work.

twinfords

Threads
head gasket could be the cause as well, OHV are nitorious for this