Electrical Problem: No Start

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
917.255914 18hp L-head twin horizontal shaft

I can jump it at the starter or the hot post on the solonoid and will turn engine over. But when I use key it wont turn engine over. The clutch switch is bypassed/spliced together. I cleaned green stuff of the key switch and rusty terminals on the PTO switch. Then still nothing when hitting the key.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
are you sure you are bypassing the switch by spliceing it together. you will find switches work two ways called open or closed. On a lot of switches you will find to by pass them you want them open.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont know. I got this mower for free with this issue. I found that someone spliced the clutch switch together and also cut the seat switch but not spliced together.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like all the interlocks are disabled anyway... so just run a New wire from the start terminal on the key switch Directly to the starter solenoid small terminal....

If You have 12 volts on the key switch start terminal when in the start position It Will work... if no 12 volts there, the key switch is likely bad OR you do not have 12 volts supplied to the Key Switch.... :smile:KennyV

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
It sounds like all the interlocks are disabled anyway... so just run a New wire from the start terminal on the key switch Directly to the starter solenoid small terminal....

If You have 12 volts on the key switch start terminal when in the start position It Will work... if no 12 volts there, the key switch is likely bad OR you do not have 12 volts supplied to the Key Switch.... :smile:KennyV

I got 12 volts on the key switch when turned. I found green stuff around the terminals on the key switch and rusty terminals on the PTO switch. Cleaned them both up but had no changes. Thinking on replacing both switches and battery cables.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is green on the outside... it's likely green on the inside... You should be able to check them with an ohm meter.... but from the description you may as well replace them.... :smile:KennyV

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I replaced the key switch and had no change. So I put the old back on til get new PTO switch and replace battery cables.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I replaced the key switch and had no change. So I put the old back on til get new PTO switch and replace battery cables.

Sure sounds to me like you are just changing parts till you find the problem. To bad you don't have a wiring diagram. With this you know how the circuits work and what to look for.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure sounds to me like you are just changing parts till you find the problem. To bad you don't have a wiring diagram. With this you know how the circuits work and what to look for.

I got a wiring diagram but not for this model. Sears doesnt have a manual for this model. I did find one off this model and it has the seat switch in the wiring too. 917.255915

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked any of the switches or wiring ... With an Ohm meter?... It not only saves time, But also money.
:smile:KennyV