craftsman tractor

velozp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I found a guy who has a 2 year old 24 hp twin cylinder, ohv briggs and stratton, yts 4000, hydro automatic transmission, precision cut 46" deck w/ twin bagging system, . He bought it new for $2500.00 total w tax. He wants to sell it because he says his yard is too small. I went to see it and its like new with 75 hours on the meter. This guy is a fanatic about being clean. Anyway he said I can have it for $1400.00. I can buy it new when it goes on sale for $2000.00 This is not a business, just someone who does not want this mower size. Do you think this is a good deal and has anyone heard how these run? Any common issues? The motor was very strong when he started it. Thank you

CZLawnCare

Threads
In my opinion with a box store tractor like tht youre gonna want a garanty making it more worth it to go for the new for an extra 600$
Chris

jc56

Threads
Tough call.If you buy it and it runs out perfect for years,you're a hero......if it goes south,you're a smuck....you know what I mean.If you trust the guy..it's probably a good buy.If you buy it,I would advise you read the manual and get familar with the unit before you use it.Found out if and where the grease fittings are...adjust the deck......clean and grease steering gear and clean cooling fan on transaxle......well,just service it I guess..lol.Good luck!!jc

velozp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you guys I spent 3 hours looking at consumer reviews. The big issue with this tractor is the gas tanks fule line is so far from the carb so its very easy to flood this machine out. If your battery is not at full charge and it takes a few tries, you can flood it and it takes about an hour to unflood. I guess a design flaw because you get air in the line so the carb may thirst for gas. I also saw that the BS v twin may have a connecting rod issue but have not confirmed it.

jc56

Threads
The location of the fuel tank wouldn't make it flood.That is caused by the needle valve in the carb not seating correctly,which very common in all makes as they get older.Same thing with rod issues,Kohler have had their share of rod trouble too,Courage engines especially.jc

velozp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you JC56 , I was told that because the fuel line is so long from the tank to the carb ( the tank is way in the back) that their may be some time for the fuel pump to pump it to the carb. ( maybe an air gap? )The fuel line is about 4 feet long. On my old MTD, the fuel tank is close to the carb so the fuel line is only 10 inches long. Not sure is this is better with a shorter fuel line. I only saw 1 complaint on the V twin BS. 24hp Its an impressive powerful engine. This machine only has 72 hours on it. thanks again for any feedback

jc56

Threads
Whatever you decide......there's good and bad in all of 'em,ya know..lol.Sounds like a nice cherry mower for a good price.One of my mowers is a LT1000 Craftsman,about a 2004,don't know how many hours...alot...it' 17hp single cylinder Kohler....been a good one!Good luck.jc