Kubota b1700 tractor.... I have questions and need advice.

honestblades

Threads
  • / Kubota b1700 tractor.... I have questions and need advice.
Here's the deal. I'd like to add bush hogging to my list of lawn services. A guy found my fourwheeler on craigslist yesterday and offered me a trade. I have a like new honda rancher 420 4x4 with alot of add ons. The guy wants to trade me a 1998 kubota b1700 tractor for it. I don't know much about this compact tractor other than the number of hours on it,so I called someone that I always thought to be very knowledgable about kubota tractors and he put a concern in my head. The tractor only has a 17hp 3 cylinder diesel. The guy told me that there is a good chance that the tractor wouldn't have enough power to properly operate a bush hog. Any thoughts on that guys? Right now the tractor is being used to cut grass at a baseball park,so it only comes with a 4 foot finishing mower. I'd hate to part with my fourwheeler,spend money on a bush hog,and then find out that the tractor doesn't have to power to work it properly.

Any insight would be helpful. The tractor has 648 hours on it,and it only comes with a finishing mower. No other attachments.

Thanks in advance.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will operate a 4 foot finish mower, if the grass is not wet & thick... then you will need to select a lower (slower) gear...

It will also do a Light weight 5 foot shredder... but again you May have to select a lower gear & might have to take less than a full width cut if you are in heavy stuff...

Don't try to figure what you can cut with horse power on a diesel engine... It will do a Lot more than gasoline horse power... those little Kubota diesels are full of Torque... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My nieces husband has one with a 5 foot brush hog and I never heard him say it was under powered. He cuts a 10 acre field in back of his house and has no brush in it. He cuts it about two times a year.

mullins87

Threads
It will handle a 4 foot bush hog just fine. I can't help you with the value of that tractor, but they are well built and will handle anything you can throw at it....within reason of course.

DaveTN

Threads
I have a friend who has a diesel and runs a 4' bush hog behind it. No problems. Another neighbor of his bought one for a mower and got rid of it because the turning radius wasn't what he liked on a mower. More like a small farm tractor rather than a sharp-turning riding mower. Other than that they both liked them. In fact I'm looking for one now on my 10 acre mini farm. Wouldn't mind having a front end loader on it either and 4WD.