What is the best tool for edging?

jacko

Threads
I am just curious what the best tool is, name of tool as well as brand of tool, for edging? I am looking for the tool that is quick to use but gives me long lasting results.

Bessy

Threads
I have a Jackson ergonomic turf edger. I got it new for Mother's day, the one I had prior lasted me well over ten years and it got used yearly in my garden.

jacko

Threads
I will give that one a look. I only ask because the last 4 shovels I have bought have broken. The handle always seems to snap on me. I really do not want to have to keep replacing tools.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am just curious what the best tool is, name of tool as well as brand of tool, for edging? I am looking for the tool that is quick to use but gives me long lasting results.

I am assuming your talking about edging sidewalks, driveways and such. Stihl is about the best for edging and trimming. There 4mix stuff works well FC 90 Edger STIHL USA Echo would be my second choice.

scooter

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Stihl looks good. I normally go for a manual tool. There is something about me that likes to make a job 10 times harder. :)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The manual tool has its place, if you don't have a lot of area to cover. You could also go with an electric edger if you like to drag cord around. They even have one that's battery operated, :rolleyes: just have a good supply of batteries. It all comes down to how much edging you have to do and as far as long lasting results, no matter the type you buy you're looking at doing it weekly for the best results.

twocycletim

Threads
I have used a string trimmer to edge with for 29yrs .095 line at least 30cc, with practice you can do it just as straight as a blade, but neater and faster. Plus you don't have to go back to the truck for another tool! :thumbsup:

dria

Threads
Wow, an electric edger, who would have thunk it! How long has that been around for? I have always just used hand tools for this! Heh, how did I miss the invention of the electric edger?

KDL

Threads
That is new to me too, I have an old flat shovel looking thing I use for edging but the mechanical versions sound very pleasing, would probably make life a little easier to deal with with the bigger gardens.