Craftsman LT100 keeps reving at max RPM, I cannot iddle it.

Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT100 keeps reving at max RPM, I cannot iddle it.
During mowing, something happened and no matter of the position of the gas handle the engine runs at max RPM, maximum rev all the times. I cannot get it to iddle. I looked around the carb, may be I figure a little spring or something which is missing, but I cannot figure it. A good drawing or picture of the things mounted around the carb (rods, springs, etc) would help me to add what I lost.

I ordered all the little parts which are related to the so called engine controls: springs, screws, little wires, etc., everything I've seen in the exploded image of the manual, around the carburater. What I miss is a picture of a complete carb from outside, to see how the levers and rod and springs are connected to the carburater.

My model # is Craftsman LT1000 917.271750. Any help is so welcome!
Thanks,
Andy

rmancini

Threads
Andy - Who is the motor manufacturer?
Might be able to fin a manual on-line.
Rich

Lache pas la patate!

Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot! The engine is a Briggs and Stratton, 18 OHP, 1 cylinder, 4 strokes. The mower model # Craftsman LT1000 917.271750.

I am almost sure that a branch hit the left side of engine from underneath and somehow I lost one of those little spring so important for the functioning of the carburater. I tried to adapt a piece of wire between the throttle shaft and the chocke shaft, to have it run at iddle, but now it is powerless and smoky...I took it out.

My heart is bleading because this engine run like a song in the last 7 years, man.

Like I told you, I purchased all those little springs and rods that form the controll.

My best regards,
Andy

noma

Threads
Andy

Is it possibly to get a engine number. Need engine model ,type .code if it's a few years old and if it's pretty new there will be a sticker on the engine that has the family it is in. See if you can find any thing like that i have some Briggs and Stratton manuals and maybe i have that engine you have , might need to know what carb you have on there to.

Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear Noma,

Here is the engine info, taken from a tag placed on the air filter housing on top of engine:

Briggs and Straton, 18 HP OHV
Family: YBSXS.5012VP 274826

Thanks a lot!

Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear Rich,

Here is what I found written on the engine:
Briggs & Stratton 18 Hp OHV
Family: YBSXS.5012VP 274826

I have been to BEST experts, too, and launched same question.

Andy

Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
CORRECTION to the engine type !!

Hi Rich and Noma again,

I'm sorry I've looked in the wrong side!
Here is the real info on my engine:
Briggs & Stratton 18 HP OHV
Model 31H777
Type 0228 E1
Code 020619ZA

BTW: I've been to the B&S site and they have for free some nice manuals, and even parts manuals, but I didn't see a better picture of that carb than I have.

I learned however better the terminology. They talk about governor, and governor linkage. Is this what is between the throttle cable and carb? And all those springs and connections around the carb?

My best,
Andy
Tnaks,
Andy

rmancini

Threads
Andy -
Any chance of posting a clear, close-up photo of your carb?
May be able to compare it with a motor locally.
Did you download the carb schematic?
Rich