Upsize my mower deck?

mrau92me

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have approx 1995 model 40" cut 12.5 HP Murray rider that needs a new deck. I've found someone who has a 42" Murray deck in good condition for sale for $40. What are the chances it'll fit, and if so, will my motor be able to handle the extra load? Will I also still be able to use my grass catcher attachment?

Any help would be appreciated.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have approx 1995 model 40" cut 12.5 HP Murray rider that needs a new deck. I've found someone who has a 42" Murray deck in good condition for sale for $40. What are the chances it'll fit, and if so, will my motor be able to handle the extra load? Will I also still be able to use my grass catcher attachment?

Any help would be appreciated.

If your engine is in good shape the extra 2 inches of cutting width will be no problem. However I cannot tell you if the deck swap is practical...there are so many variables in mounting and powering a mower deck I'd have to eyeball them side by side to see if the bigger one will fit.

AcadGrad81

Threads
If your engine is in good shape the extra 2 inches of cutting width will be no problem. However I cannot tell you if the deck swap is practical...there are so many variables in mounting and powering a mower deck I'd have to eyeball them side by side to see if the bigger one will fit.
My 1995 MTD 42" deck has something like 8 mounting points including side-to-side leveler and rear stabilizing plate. Here's a link to the illustrated parts manual:
Parts and Diagrams for MTD 135M679G382 (1995).

You might also want to compare the distances between deck pulleys and from the pulleys to the front edge of the deck on the 40" and 42" to determine whether the existing belt is the correct length. Hope this helps.