Blade bolt removal

motorrefurb

Threads
I've heard around that removing blade bolts is best when an impact wrench is used. I fear that if the bolt is rusted in and I use the impact wrench, that the blade will turn at like 10,000 rpms or however much the impact wrench goes to. Will that happen?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've heard around that removing blade bolts is best when an impact wrench is used. I fear that if the bolt is rusted in and I use the impact wrench, that the blade will turn at like 10,000 rpms or however much the impact wrench goes to. Will that happen?

No A impact wrench impacts with any resistance at all. The only thing that is going to spin is the bolt not the crankshaft. Its works like hitting a wrench with a hammer but real fast

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe find away to hold the blade so it does not spin

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Parkmower

Threads
I use an impact mostly and never brace the blade. It never spins.
If I'm using a socket and breaker bar I wedge a 10" piece of 2x4 against the blade and deck to keep the blade from spinning while I pull on the breaker bar. Side note, breaker bar is never easy.

fastback

Threads
I'm with the others on this. I also use an impact and have no problems removing a blade. I also use anti-size on the bolts when reinstalling. If your going to reinstall with the impact make sure you start the bolts by hand so as not to cross thread.

Parkmower

Threads
fastback said:
If your going to reinstall with the impact make sure you start the bolts by hand so as not to cross thread.

Good tip. I forgot to mention that.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
That's the whole idea of an impact wrench; rapid impacts to loosen the bolt without moving the shaft or blade. I like mine for taking off lug nuts after the car or truck is up on the jack stands. I don't like to use an impact for reassembly; I'd rather use a torque wrench - tight enough and not too tight.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
When I don't want to take the deck off to use the impact - I just use a socket wrench with a long pipe for leverage - always comes off easy as long as the blade is blocked from moving . Small vise or c clamp works good too .

motorrefurb

Threads
I thought about using a piece of wood but wont 600 ft/lbs of torque move the wood....?