Should I buy Commercial or a Homeowner mower for 4+ Acres

Fallcreek

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Should I buy Commercial or a Homeowner mower for 4+ Acres
I have lake front property that currently has just less than 4 acres of grass used for recreation like activities. The areas are divided into 2 zones for cutting. The 1st area is around 2000 feet long by 100 feet wide with a slight 3% slope towards the water. The second area is around multiple structures and trees, yet mostly flat. Once fully developed I could have up to 6+ acres of grass area. I have looked JD front deck mowers and our local dealer is recommending the Z 465. I would prefer a mower that can perform multiple functions, but is that really necessary, and will a Z Turn be just fine. I do not have an issue with buying a used mower too. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a commercial front deck or just a Z Turn. I don稚 want to buy too much mower for the job, but I also don稚 want to buy a mower that is too small. Thanks for the help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Of course you would be better off with a commercial mower. Made to last for years with a good maintenance program. Unless you are the type of person that wants a new mower every few years. You are the person that knows the size of your wallet. If you are going commercial check out the Ferris because they have different style mowers and maybe something more for your needs. A commercial mower is a big investment so spend some looking time. Sears sells a riding mower less then 1000 dollars and a commercial mower is closer to 10,000 dollars.

Parkmower

Threads
If you want the grass mowed fast you want a ZT. A commercial ZT could pull a cart and maybe a roller or aerator. Some even have snow removal attachments. It all depends on how much your planning on spending.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Of course you would be better off with a commercial mower. Made to last for years with a good maintenance program. Unless you are the type of person that wants a new mower every few years. You are the person that knows the size of your wallet. If you are going commercial check out the Ferris because they have different style mowers and maybe something more for your needs. A commercial mower is a big investment so spend some looking time. Sears sells a riding mower less then 1000 dollars and a commercial mower is closer to 10,000 dollars.

Yes you would be better off with a commercial mower, and with a maintenance program it will last for years. A commercial mower doesn't have to be a big investment, you can buy a commercial ZTR for around 5000 dollars, half the price previously stated unless you want to buy and pay for a name. Most any 48" or larger deck will handle the area and what you describe. You could also go with a good High End residential unit and have the same results and it would last as long as a commercial if you take care of and preform the maintenance that's required.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes you would be better off with a commercial mower, and with a maintenance program it will last for years. A commercial mower doesn't have to be a big investment, you can buy a commercial ZTR for around 5000 dollars, half the price previously stated unless you want to buy and pay for a name. Most any 48" or larger deck will handle the area and what you describe. You could also go with a good High End residential unit and have the same results and it would last as long as a commercial if you take care of and preform the maintenance that's required.

I haven't really shoped for commercial mower so I don't know prices. When I bought my commercial Ferris 13 years ago it was a little over 8000 and the last time I priced one it was over 10,000. This is where I was getting the 10,000 dollar price from. I really think you will find you get what you pay for and yes maybe name has a little to do with it but not 5000 dollars.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like has been said... The more you can spend will definitely have a bearing on the quality of the machine you get...
There are many levels of quality within the various 'grades' of equipment...
My main mower is an industrial grade Diesel ZTR, I don't Need that much machine, but I know it will last ME forever, I will Never need anything larger... It's enough to handle Anything I might set out to do with it... I have various attachments for it... I can mow my lawn Or my over 10 acres with it, can blow deep snow, and anything else, in clean comfort, full cab...

As to cost... How often do you plan on replacing a mower... Or maybe a better question ... How often do You Want to replace a mower?
My mower is over 10 years old... I know it will do every thing I have done with it for another 50 years plus... I won't last that long, when I bought it I was looking to get a ZT that I would Never have to replace.

The Best Industrial mower will cost over $25k... The Best Commercial over $10k the Best Residential over $5k.... and the best consumer grade over $1.5k
It all depends on how often do you Want to replace it...
What all Might you want to do with it...
How much $$ do you want to spend for it...

Look at Good Used equipment and get all the attachments you can imagine you'll ever want.... buy the best (or at least something built with the best components) You can't spend too much for a good ZTR... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't really shopped for commercial mower so I don't know prices. When I bought my commercial Ferris 13 years ago it was a little over 8000 and the last time I priced one it was over 10,000. This is where I was getting the 10,000 dollar price from. I really think you will find you get what you pay for and yes maybe name has a little to do with it but not 5000 dollars.

Humm, Lets see shouldn't that be you get what you're stupid enough to pay for??

I Kinda look at buying mowers like buying coffee, you can buy Kopi Luwak for like $80 per lb or you can buy Folgers or Maxwell House for 3.95 per lb and guess what when there made they both come out black and can you actually taste any difference, especially when you screw them both up with cream and sugar. :rolleyes:

I look at mowers the same way, you can go out and buy a ZTR and spend 10 or 12K, buy the Name, buy the Gimmicks, and the bragging rights or spend 4 to 5k on a good commercial ZTR and in the end guess what? they both just cut grass.:rolleyes:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I Love coffee... I Never add anything to it... don't care for any 'flavored' coffees.
I can tell the difference between average & Great coffee...
You can buy folgers by the pound at a reasonable price... OR the same folgers in k-cups, at over $85 a pound.

You can mow grass with a $2500 ZTR or a $35,000 ZTR... & you Will notice the difference, that is Not to say that you will Need to spend that much, just to mow the grass, only that there will be differences in them... and I am not talking about the #of cup holders.

The type of mower you use should be the one that your happiest with... :smile:KennyV

Parkmower

Threads
KennyV said:
I Love coffee... I Never add anything to it... don't care for any 'flavored' coffees.
I can tell the difference between average & Great coffee...

The type of mower you use should be the one that your happiest with... :smile:KennyV

I agree.
I am a fan of commercial mowers. I've ran them for 15 yrs. They are built the toughest.
I also run a homeowner mower. It does its job well.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Humm, Lets see shouldn't that be you get what you're stupid enough to pay for??

I Kinda look at buying mowers like buying coffee, you can buy Kopi Luwak for like $80 per lb or you can buy Folgers or Maxwell House for 3.95 per lb and guess what when there made they both come out black and can you actually taste any difference, especially when you screw them both up with cream and sugar. :rolleyes:

I look at mowers the same way, you can go out and buy a ZTR and spend 10 or 12K, buy the Name, buy the Gimmicks, and the bragging rights or spend 4 to 5k on a good commercial ZTR and in the end guess what? they both just cut grass.:rolleyes:

I really don't care what anyone buys for a mower and really not here to be called stupid. Go buy what ever you want and leave me out of it because I could care less. I am not bragging to anyone and not on this forum to disagree only to help. I drink Folgers coffee if you want to know.