How do you charge

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you run across a client whose husband is in the military and in Afghanistan, how do you charge or should I say how much would you charge the client???

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry but I would charge the same as any one else. Being in the war don't mean they don't have the money

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Betterlawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I personally give them a discount of a few dollars maybee 10% and a good relationship it's the least we can do if we haven't been their, maybee he will even keep you when he gets back...

honestblades

Threads
I offer military discounts. It really makes you look like a down to earth person that isn't all about money. The day before yesterday I went to cut a yard for a new customer. She told me that her husband was in the military on the phone,so I told her I would knock a little money off of the bill if she would pay me cash. It turns out the military discount was a big deal for her. All I did was cut the yard at the average price,and I trimmed three hedges for free....... In return she told me that I am not responsible for cutting her grass once a week,and also the two neighbors on each side of her house. I call that a WIN. Don't expect this to happen everytime,but when word of mouth gets going in that neighborhood some people may appreciate the fact that I give a small discount for military. In this business there is entirely way too much competition,so you have to find ways to make yourself stand out,without losing money in the process. A small discount for military,senior citizens,and church properties has helped me out over the years and has gotten me a great reputation.

fireman gus

Threads
I live in a town that has a military base and many of the men and women are deployed. If I gave discounts to them I would not make money (as I do several). I appreciate them doing their patriotic duty but business is business.

Mower manic

Threads
That is up to you Ric,
obviously your troubled by this.
If that's the case, let your heart be your guide. Do what you think you need to do.
If this guy is on a battlefield risking or perhaps giving his life for your freedoms, why should you cut him or his widow a break?
After all, your paying for this conflict....right? Your paying for his house, his medical bills and family's medical bills. Do you really need to help pay for his lawn care?
figure it out. and be sure to let us know what you've done to solve this dilemma.

honestblades

Threads
Gus- No offense buddy,but if a $5 discount is going to make or break you,you might want to consider finding another profession. I think some of you guys are missing the big picture. That small $5 discount can result in an overjoyed military wife telling all of her friends about your services and laying 4 or 5 other customers on you.

Lets break it down. $5 discount once a week equalls $20 less per month from one customer.... if they get you cutting lets say only one more yard every week that can come out to an easy additional $200 per month income. Two more customers = $400

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is up to you Ric,
obviously your troubled by this.
If that's the case, let your heart be your guide. Do what you think you need to do.
If this guy is on a battlefield risking or perhaps giving his life for your freedoms, why should you cut him or his widow a break?
After all, your paying for this conflict....right? Your paying for his house, his medical bills and family's medical bills. Do you really need to help pay for his lawn care?
figure it out. and be sure to let us know what you've done to solve this dilemma.

Well it's not really a dilemma and as you say the guy is on a battlefield risking or perhaps giving his life for our freedoms.
Your right we do pay for his house, his medical bills and family's medical bills but when stop and think about that it's really irrelevant as we do the same for everybody in this country who needs it regardless whether there in the military or not, people who have no military service or background get food stamps, Medi-care and so on and we all pay for these type of things so what's the difference.
I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go with this question and everybody is going to have there own personal opinion. Some say I give them a 10% break others say I don't give them a break, why should I. I think it comes down to ones values.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gus- No offense buddy,but if a $5 discount is going to make or break you,you might want to consider finding another profession. I think some of you guys are missing the big picture. That small $5 discount can result in an overjoyed military wife telling all of her friends about your services and laying 4 or 5 other customers on you.

Lets break it down. $5 discount once a week equalls $20 less per month from one customer.... if they get you cutting lets say only one more yard every week that can come out to an easy additional $200 per month income. Two more customers = $400

honestblades, I basically agree with you, I think for the cost that's involved to do a couple of freebie or discount lawns is going to break the bank then you mite want to look at another line of work.
If I were to lose a customer or two it's not going to cost anymore than doing a couple of freebies a month and I could gain by picking up a couple of more paying customers through those freebies.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think if you stop and think about it you can do cuts for the military people for free and break even or possibly come out ahead of the game at the end of the year. :thumbsup: