Cable or Satellite

Hershey

Threads
I know a lot of folks right now that are debating between cable and satellite TV, especially with the economy still being so bad. Pennies count. Do you have cable or satellite, or are you still an over the air user?

Mac 624

Threads
We use satellite for more then 20 years now. But it is very different her in Germany, cause for cable we had to pay 40 USD each month and satellite was for free at this times. Not sure how it is today. We do not use TV that much, cause program at the private/commercial stations is junk. Mrs.is from Poland so mostly we watch polish TV. If I watch TV, I only go with the non commercial programs. On sundays and after 20.15 in evening they do not have any promotion and movies are not interupted by promotion.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had satellite for a long time... but when it went above a dollar a day for reception I decided to look at what I was actually watching.
Makes no difference how many channels you have to choose from, IF you do not spend a lot of time watching TV...

So a few years ago I switched back to over the air broadcast. Still get local news and the other things I use to follow I can watch on my computer.

And still find most of the time I just do not take time to watch TV... some day I may have more time... to do ... ???

Mac.. I have some friends that would figure $40 for cable would be a bargain ... Not me, ...
Now if you are getting other services with cable like phone, internet and TV you may have a package price that makes sense but for now I will stay with Over the Air Broadcast...
:smile:KennyV
:smile:KennyV

Ross

Threads
Satellite T.V. is free in Germany? Remind me to move there someday:smile: We have cable and swear by it. I've heard too many horror stories about bad weather and satellite to want to try something new.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
No cable or broadband internet here in the boonies - can't get over air TV signals either. SO we have Satellite TV (local weather and news) and Cellular internet --- dial up is just
TOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW :thumbdown: !

Hershey

Threads
We're still with cable but my sister has been talking about switching. We're both pretty tired of the rising cost of cable. Besides, how many of those 100+ channels do we really watch anyway?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
In most cases satellite won't be any cheaper and will have as many or more channels - remember trees and bad weather affect satellite more than cable. We had to have a tree topped because the leaves were blocking signal for local channels.
We're still with cable but my sister has been talking about switching. We're both pretty tired of the rising cost of cable. Besides, how many of those 100+ channels do we really watch anyway?

Walt 2002

Threads
In most cases satellite won't be any cheaper and will have as many or more channels - remember trees and bad weather affect satellite more than cable. We had to have a tree topped because the leaves were blocking signal for local channels.

Agree with cost, we have looked at it several times. One problem is we run 3 TVs and 3 VCRs, sometimes all are using different stations, even extra cost with satellite, no extra cost with cable.

"I have some friends that would figure $40 for cable would be a bargain ... Not me, ..."

Ours runs cable runs $67 for step just above basic.

Walt Conner

173abn

Threads
as with BK I'm in the boonies so no cable and dialup is the norm.Satellite costs too much for my taste.when HD took over I bought 2 HD TVs and put up an HD antenna and actually get more stations now then I did with analog.it has it's drawbacks because during storms or being on the fringe of some stations it cuts out.I started out with the converter box for my old analog TV but both stopped working after a year ,Walmart quit selling them so that left Bestbuy and they wern't cheap so I went with the HD TV,now I got 4 old analog tvs gathering dust. russ

Usedtorent

Threads
I am a cable subscriber... and I'm not happy with the prices. I swear we get an increase every quarter. It's crazy! My problem is my internet is through them too so I don't want to change. I don't lose the cable often (due to weather and I'm in the country).