15.5hp Briggs OHV - '04 model - blowing grey smoke BAD

Curtamous

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 15.5hp Briggs OHV - '04 model - blowing grey smoke BAD
after a few min's of running my riding mower and engaging the blade deck, the mower chokes down and blows a massive cloud of grey smoke and dies. Is it my rings? Breather element? The plug is wet.
Also it has been difficult to start, as if the battery is dead. Changed the battery and it still wouldn't stroke without me helping by putting my hand the top and twisting while it cranks...as if compression issue?

Any advise is appreciated!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Common problem with that engine is blown head gasket. Will be blown between cylinder and push rod cavity. May also have a valve adjustment problem causing the hard starting, but you will have to readjust valve after changing head gasket anyway.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Pull the dip stick and sniff the oil - smell like gasoline ?

temarthers

Threads
Just throwing these thoughts out to you:

White or blue smoke while running may be an indication of an excessively worn cylinder or rings or a clogged or inoperative breather (the breather assures that there is always negative pressure in the crankcase - if not, oil can get forced up into the cylinder).

was the mower left out in the weather, the air filter may be clogged, causing it to pull oil from the crankcase into the cylinder and then into the muffler,

Check the oil level. Sometimes too much oil in the mower can cause white smoke to blow out of the exhaust.
It is possible that gas contaminated your crankcase oil and you will need to change it to get it clean again

Is the spark plug is adjusted correctgly, or clogged with burnt oil or other crud (often from a clogged air filter), it can be impossible to start the engine. If you do get it started, smoke or other exhaust issues can occur

A carburetor will get clogged and dirty, especially if the air filter is clogged. Sometimes this problem can lead to one of the floats leaking or the needle seat going bad

Compression Test or leak Down Test might also be something to look at.