Removing Spark Arrestor

danarn17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have heard that you remove the spark arrestor your Stihl weedeater will start easier. Any downside with doing this?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have heard that you remove the spark arrestor your Stihl weedeater will start easier. Any downside with doing this?

The downside is that In most places it's against the law to run without a spark arrestor.
Your stihl uses a screen type spark arrestor, it's a mesh screen that prevents large particles from leaving the exhaust system. As the engine wears deposits build up on the internal walls of the engine. When those deposits break free they exit through the exhaust system and present a potential fire hazard. As far as starting easier, that's very unlikely especially if you take the time to clean the screen once in a while.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, it isn't likely that will help unless you can see that it is plugged up with carbon.
Good oil mixed properly and some sort of ethanol satbilizer and make sure the carb and intake air filter are clean is your best bet for easy starts. Does your model recommend higher octane than 87 ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree, it isn't likely that will help unless you can see that it is plugged up with carbon.
Good oil mixed properly and some sort of ethanol stabilizer and make sure the carb and intake air filter are clean is your best bet for easy starts. Does your model recommend higher octane than 87 ?

Stihl recommends 89 or higher octane in all there equipment.

danarn17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use premium ethanol free gas with stihl premium oil. It's just a devil to start with the spark arrestor in. Will crank of first pull without spark arrestor. Go figure!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use premium ethanol free gas with stihl premium oil. It's just a devil to start with the spark arrestor in. Will crank of first pull without spark arrestor. Go figure!

Is it a pita to start all the time or just cold? Have you done the obvious like changing the plug, air filter and element and adjusting the carburetor, how old is the unit and what Stihl do you have?

jc56

Threads
Humm...just removing that screen,that's not clogged with carbon,and it starts better.....just doesn't make sense.

danarn17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Less than one year old. It just always starts on first pull with the arrestor out.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that is the only thing you change - there must be some reason that screen is restricting the exhaust flow. Have you cleaned that screen with a wire brush and or soaked it in carb cleaner and then brushed it ? Can you take a picture of what you are removing so we can see the condition ?

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
This thread has me thinking that I'll going to pull the muffler/spark arrestors on my trimmer and chain saw and soak them overnight in some solvent and then blow them out with the air gun.