Removing Spark Arrestor

jc56

Threads
Just the other day my Husky chainsaw got running worse and worse and I kept adjusting the carb and nothing was getting better.Pulled the carb,cleaned it,adjusted,nothing.Then it hit me.....pulled the deflector off the muffler...ta da!!!!It was completely stopped up.A little carb cleaner,a little wire brush,back together,start,adjust the carb.....and it was back!!!That screen is sooooooo small.Runs just like new again.jc:thumbsup:

snappin

Threads
It helps with the home owners line of trimmers.They tend to get stopped up and even when they aren't,they're noticably easier to start.I learned this the hard way.I thought the cheaper stihl trimmers were junk for a long time until I learned this.The one they use at work has lasted five years without the spark arrestor.It's the same model I had two of(home use) that lasted a year each.The local dealer wanted nearly as much as they were worth to fix them so I never went back and got them(two consecutive years).
Now that I know what was causing the symptoms,I bought another one today.

William Draper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know anything about starting, etc. But in the unlikely event a fire would start Stihl will say something to the nature of "You performed unauthorized modifications and you are responsible."
The odds of a problem are very unlikely but it is up to you.

FLaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Better way is to pull the screen, propane torch it to a dull red, let it cool and blow it out

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sometimes all you need to do is take it apart and clean it for the engine to run better.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better way is to pull the screen, propane torch it to a dull red, let it cool and blow it out
Yup, even a butane lighter works. I just hold with needle-nosed pliers and the deposits turn to ash and brush right off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do any of you RECENT posters realize this thread is 5 years old ..???

Dougr6

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just clean it with carb. cleaner and drill a half dozen 1/16'' or so, holes all the way through it, utilizing the whole screen.
This makes it last longer between cleaning, and easier to clean as well.
This still allows some backpressure than taking it completely out.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just burn the screens with a propane torch, then tap them and the ash will just fall off.
Then clean or replace the air filter....