Kohler Engine keeps flooding........

shajoe44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 18HP Kohler engine on my Toro mower. The carburetor was flooding out. I replaced the carburetor thinking this was the problem. I am still getting the flooding problem.When cranking, the motor runs for a few seconds blowing lots of smoke out the exhaust and you can see lots of gas in the breather opening. Any help will be appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 18HP Kohler engine on my Toro mower. The carburetor was flooding out. I replaced the carburetor thinking this was the problem. I am still getting the flooding problem.When cranking, the motor runs for a few seconds blowing lots of smoke out the exhaust and you can see lots of gas in the breather opening. Any help will be appreciated.

It sure sound like a carburetor problem. Seeing you installed a new carburetor I would say your choke isn't opening right or a lot of dirt is getting into the carburetor needle valve. The first thing I would check is to see if your chock is opening all the way. When you replaced your carburetor did you also replace the fuel lines and fuel filter. I have found that with the newer fuels that the rubber breaks down inside the fuel hoses and gets into the carburetor making problems.

shajoe44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use ethanol free gas. I did not replace either of those items. After replacing carb it started flooding immediately just like the previous carb was doing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use ethanol free gas. I did not replace either of those items. After replacing carb it started flooding immediately just like the previous carb was doing.

Only thing to make it flood is the needle valve sticking open or a float problem. Not that bad of a job. Just remove the carburetor bowl and remove the float and needle valve, clean out with a little compressed air. Now after you have the carburetor installed replace the fuel line and filter to the carburetor. Can't cost you any more then 5 dollars. By the way you did check the choke?

shajoe44

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK further information......the carb is not flooding. The black hose coming from the OHV silver box located at rear of engine and leading into the breather assembly is flooding it out. I disconnected the hose from the OHV box and cranked engine. Oil and gas came out of this opening while engine ran. Smoke still pour from the muffler, but engine did not cut off as long as hose was disconnected. Sounds like rings........if it is rings roughly how much money am I looking at?

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK further information......the carb is not flooding. The black hose coming from the OHV silver box located at rear of engine and leading into the breather assembly is flooding it out. I disconnected the hose from the OHV box and cranked engine. Oil and gas came out of this opening while engine ran. Smoke still pour from the muffler, but engine did not cut off as long as hose was disconnected. Sounds like rings........if it is rings roughly how much money am I looking at?

Thanks

I sure can't understand why gas would be coming out of the valve cover. Without that hose hooked up and the engine running oil is going to pour out that hole. Make sure you aren't over full of oil in the crankcase. If you need a engine OH it can run over a thousand dollars if done right. If you are looking for less money then that I would look for a good used engine. Its more then just installing rings if done right. I don't know your situation but maybe you should have someone look at it that does this for a living because if you are thinking rings it might save you money in the long run.

shajoe44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I will take it in for a service tech to look at it.

Uncleginger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me if he has smoke coming from the exhaust and gas and oil is coming from the OHV breather tube he has a bad head gasket.