Wood Piles

Hershey

Threads
We had a tree cut down some time ago, and all of the tree pieces are lined up against the fence. Is there any decay that will happen here, or will those 'logs' last forever?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get them up off the ground and not touching the fence. They should last a long time, but maybe not forever.

Hershey

Threads
What's the danger in having them off the ground versus being on the ground? These are some pretty big logs. We don't really intend to use them for fires or anything. They're just great to keep the dogs from digging.

rekees

Threads
We had a tree cut down some time ago, and all of the tree pieces are lined up against the fence. Is there any decay that will happen here, or will those 'logs' last forever?

Nothing lasts forever. How long the decay takes depends on the species of wood, moisture, termites, etc. If your fence is made of wood termites are a concern. The logs should last several years.

Thunder

Threads
All wood decomposes in time. If you have them on the ground and up against other wood, termites would concern me, and they will decompose faster. Say 100 years instead of 200.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I was under the impression you wanted to save them for firewood :confused2: - If you aren't planning to use them to burn ----- they are OK on the ground ----- termites would be a concern if the fence is wood.

Hershey

Threads
Now y'all are scaring me. Yes, the fence is wood. The wood logs aren't by the house though, but I'm not sure how termites travel and such.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now y'all are scaring me. Yes, the fence is wood. The wood logs aren't by the house though, but I'm not sure how termites travel and such.

They travel under ground and in wood. They are attracted to any non pressure treated wood in contact with the ground. I have even seen them in pressure treated lumber (even when it is not supposed to be the case). :eek:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They travel under ground and in wood. They are attracted to any non pressure treated wood in contact with the ground. I have even seen them in pressure treated lumber (even when it is not supposed to be the case). :eek:

All correct... Plus when they swarm they grow wings and FLY to adjoining buildings to establish new colonies.... KennyV

Hershey

Threads
Okay, so I need to find a way to elevate this wood. What economical idea do you think I could do? What type of platform or whatever? The logs aren't touching my wood fence. They are a few inches away from the fence, but they are right on the ground.