Stihl 044 runs full speed only

bwestbrook

Threads
I have a 044 that starts and runs great but only full speed. When I press the trigger it will throttle down not bog down. If I try to let it idle it runs full speed for about 15 seconds and dies. I have tried adjusting the high and low idle with no change. I installed a carb kit and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air.
What would make this thing run full speed all of the time?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your linkage at the carb... something is not connected...:smile:KennyV

bwestbrook

Threads
Kenny I thought the same thing too. But the throttle linkage is connected and works appropriately and so does the choke.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The rubber intake boot between the carb and cylinder may have a crack in it causing it to run lean and over speed without throttle control.

bwestbrook

Threads
I sprayed carb cleaner to try and find any leaks but no luck.

wardsmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your fuel lines and fuel filter. Fuel lines could be pinched, or colapsed. Sounds simple but it does happen.

temarthers

Threads
Not sure about a stihl but if something happend when the low and high speed needles were adjusted this could be the cause. If someone screwed those babies in ALL the way and force them in good, then it may have damaged them. Not sure if you can get the needles out on Stihl or not, but is worth a look and did you take out the Wealch Plugs, normally you don't have to but definitely sounds like a carb problem and inside the carb at that. See if the needles will come out and see if they have been damaged.

Joe79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Def a carb problem. If you've tried all the obvious adjustments with no success then there are a couple of things you could look at.

Could be a needle stuck open in the carb that maybe you didnt check during cleaning, allowing constant gas flow.

Try looking at the little spring that's wound on the linkage of the carb throttle. Sometimes that little spring either breaks, or comes detached and unwinds. The spring doesn't retract allowing the throttle to stay open.

Let me know if that helps!

bwestbrook

Threads
Well I done a crankcase pressure/vac test and found the crank seal behind the clutch leaking. When I took the seal out it was dry rotted.